Tools

Dies
 Login/Join

posted
What brand and type of dies do you recommend for .243Win and why

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tazmaniac,

Pardon the pun but that's a loaded question.

What are your goals? What's available to you locally? How much do you want to spend or not spend? What press do you currently have?

The answer can range from Lee hand dies because they are inexpensive and don't require a press and can be used in the field, to Competition Redding S dies that will set you back well over $100 but give you the most control over the amount of sizing and precision bullet seating. Middle of the road is probably RCBS or other major brand, usually available locally and will give you good ammunition when used properly.

How much time do you want to spend prepping brass before you load it? If the answer is simply shot it then reload and shoot it again go with the RCBS. If you're willing to spend more time to get a little more accuracy then go for the Redding S dies and Competition bullet seater. If you don't turn the necks for consistancy polish the expander button or get a carbide expander button. If you turn them size without an expander using the proper neck bushing.

Reloading can be as simple or complex as you want to make it.

Posts: 78 | Location: CA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I have dies from all the major manufacturers and get accurate ammo from all of them. Some dies are more polished and good looking on the outside but it's the inside that counts. Unless you're after Bench Rest accuracy any of the std. die sets are a good start and can produce accurate hunting ammo. RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Hornady etc. My set of .243 Win. dies are Lyman and my pet hunting load is a 95g Nosler Partition, R-P Nickle cases, 44.0g of AA3100 & CCI BR2 Primers.
I get 5 shots in 7/8" from my old Rem. 700 Carbine.

Good luck, shoot lots,

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I like RCBS & Redding. Fit & finish have always been good. I have owned most @ one time or another & now I look to Redding if I buy something new.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't comment on 243, but I have a Lee RGB set for my 223 and Hornady for my 270. I'm not an accuracy nut, but do like the bullets to go where I point. Both these sets give sub-MOA results in both calibres. Can't complain, especially since I use a RCBS Partner press for 90% of my reloading.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LEE LEE LEE

Posts: 19458 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Hornaday, RCBS, and Lee dies. Seems like I always reach for the Lee dies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't own a press yet,..then buy Wilson in-line dies. They give minimal run-out,..have the bushing capability, and are cheaper (even if you buy the arbor press)

If you have a threaded die press,...then I think my redding dies produce better concentricity than my RCBS dies. This is only by a few thousandths,..but I like everything to be les than .002" and prefer everything be around .001"-.0015" runout. (pet peeve,..probably doesn't make a difference on paper)

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote