Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mag reloading
 Login/Join

posted
i have a ruger mark II that one day will shot about a 3/4 in. group then the next time i shot it with the same loads will be a 5 in group. can any one help

one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
There are so many things that cold cause this.

Start by checking your scope mounts and rings.

Change to another proven scope.

Clean the copper out of the barrel, etc.

On your loads, do you crimp. Have the cases been trimmed to the proper length. Are you dropping powder and not weighing each charge.

That's a start.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The general rule is check 1st-scope, 2nd-barrel and 3rd-bedding.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My Ruger MK II Stainless drove me nuts for years with inconsistent groups, had it pillar and glass bedded, re-crowned, trigger job, etc. nothing helped. My usual routine was to shoot 6-8 three round groups and the loads that showed promise I would load in 5 round groups and on the next range trip they would not shoot consistently. One time I noticed that the groups always got bigger after I cleaned the gun, even with the same loads.

I ran an experiment with not cleaning the barrel between range visits and after about 20-25 rounds it settled in to a solid 3/4"-1" rifle. Right now I have a little over 320 rounds through it since it was last cleaned and it still shoots 3/4"-1" groups.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Confirm what the others have said. Should you be confident that it's not you, then see a good gunsmith about that bedding.

Cheers and best of luck

Posts: 41 | Location: Melb, Australia | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clean barrels can present accuracy problems . DON'T EVER clean a 22 target rifle !!!

It took me over a hindered rounds to settle mine back down ( an at the time I wasn't smart enough to know

what was happening ) So I fed it MATCH AMMO ELY TenX !. Boy talk about STUPID I kept shooting and CLEANING !!!

I almost got a rubber stamp and tattooed my forehead once I realized what I had done wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I go target shooting or hunting ; A ; I check all action screws scope mounts B ; I sight my Rifle in

shoot my groups of which ever loads I plan on using . C; I DON'T CLEAN until after I'm done hunting or target

shooting and I'm not going to shoot that particular Rifle maybe for a couple of months .

I Never clean my 22's Barrels any more period only chamber and bolts .

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the tips. i have checked the scope i am running a leapold vxII on this gun. it has been bedded. i had the barrel lapped. and i dont clean the gun. it is starting to drive me crazy because i have a 300 win mag in the same rifle and it will shoot a 3/4 to 1 in. 5 shot group at 100yards. thanks again

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc224/375:
Clean barrels can present accuracy problems . DON'T EVER clean a 22 target rifle !!!

It took me over a hindered rounds to settle mine back down ( an at the time I wasn't smart enough to know

what was happening ) So I fed it MATCH AMMO ELY TenX !. Boy talk about STUPID I kept shooting and CLEANING !!!

I almost got a rubber stamp and tattooed my forehead once I realized what I had done wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I go target shooting or hunting ; A ; I check all action screws scope mounts B ; I sight my Rifle in

shoot my groups of which ever loads I plan on using . C; I DON'T CLEAN until after I'm done hunting or target

shooting and I'm not going to shoot that particular Rifle maybe for a couple of months .

I Never clean my 22's Barrels any more period only chamber and bolts .

salute archer archer

Doc, same here on the .22LR I have a Kimber and will never run a rod down her.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote