New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital/electronic scales and fluorescent lamps
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did you experience any real problem using a digital scale under a fluorescent lamp ? I plan to install one 1.2 meters above my reloading bench, but I have some doubts... Thanks - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I had flourescents over my old reloading shop and NEVER experienced any problems. However, I've heard people say they did but there weren't any measurements given. I had a 9' ceiling and a 36" bench and neither of the two digitals that I have ever reacted to them. I had more problems with a beam scale from breezes from open doors or windows.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

I've read warnings about fluorescent lights with the manuals for electronic scales/powder dispensers and I've seen it repeated ad nauseam online. I have a fluorescent light directly over my bench and can see no effects. I've read on line that fluorescent lights made without a filter can cause interference with other devices plugged into the same AC wiring through the wiring itself. Although why or how this could interfere with a device such as an electronic scale that more than likely has a filtered DC power supply ( if you had a such light without a filter ) I don't know. I assume it's most likely CYA. Since it's usually warned againt by the manufacturer I can't advise you to ignore it but in my own experience I can't see any negative effects.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the older flor. ballasts (that flicker at 60 cycles) and ANY other electrical device can and sometimes will cause irradic readings with electronic scales. The reason is because thats exactly how these scales work. They measure very small electrical changes and convert that to weight. Some circuitry is better than others at filtering out the crap. My newer florescents did not effect my brand new PACT digital scale...but everything else did. In fact there was only one room in my house were it would function properly. It was their latest model that was supposed to be better about that sort of thing but after two weeks of endless calibration, trying filtered power supplies and changing outlets I sold the piece of crap. When talking to their less than cordial customer service they also included living too close to power lines and cell phone towers as possible problems. GIVE ME A BREAK.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have long fluroescent tubes not more than 4 feet above my RCBS digital Powder Pro and Dillon D-Terminator. I have not seen one bit of evidence that these fluroescent lights are interferring with either scale. Both of them, however, are on different circuits from the lighting.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`m not sure about the warnings either. I`ve read them and I`m sure they have merit but how the lights effect the scales I can`t say, although I`m sure it varies with distance. I`ve also heard cell phones and other electrical devices will cause problems but haven`t seen evidence of that with mine either ( I don`t talk on the phone or watch TV while weighting powder though).

I do remember as a youth my mother would turn on her beaters or run the vacume and the TV three rooms away would go out. The car also had a metal shield on the distributer that prevented the points from interfering with the radio, as would bad plug wires - damn I`m feeling old- anytime current runs through a wire or you have a spark you produce electro magnatisim. This is cured with shielding circitry and better insulation today. I would hope powder scale manufactures are aware of and try to design some kind of safe guard in their product against this. I also feel they don`t know how much or what strenght of field they have to deter so they warn against any exposure.

My bench has a fluoresent light above the front edge about 6" in front of the bench and 3.5'- 4' above. I haven`t seen any problems when checking with a set of check weights, which I do everytime I set up. I usually test with the weights equaling the powder charge I want to use and see if the scale is reading right at that load.

I`d set my scale up and then turn on the lights and see if the scale acts up and varies its reading. If not I`d keep a eye on it and check the weight with a known standard, or turn off the light if possible, at random during use to insure the reading doesn`t vary.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the first I have ever heard of this. I worked as a chemist for years in a laboratory with fluorescent lights and high precision digital scales. These things were measuring to 0.00001 grams. We never had any issues with the the lights. I have a fluorescent light over my PACT scale and have never had any issues with it either. I suspect as mentioned elsewhere that older fluorescent lights can cause problems even with new electronics. A new ballast will usually fix these problems.

Posts: 71 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have one of the very oldest PACT electronic scales, and a Dedicated Systems electronic scale/measure. I use them both directly under a double-tube 8' flourescent fixture installed in 1979 (that's 25 years ago now). Neither scale's performance is in anyway degraded so far as I can determine.

May affect some, but I don't know why if my old stuff isn't bothered.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody! I will install the fluorescent tube - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a PACT set-up for a short while. I had constant problems. When I called PACT they told me flourscent lights could affect the scale via the IR ports. I turn the light off and problem solved (provided there were no major appliances running at the same time). I haven't had any issues with my Dillon electronic scale.

Eddie

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got an older RCBS electronic scale and it is affected by the flourescent light over it. It did help some to cover the IR port. I hope yours works better than mine.
Good Luck,
Jeff

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote