Find
Notify
Tools

260 vs 270
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Todd:

You could at least quote data from the same barrel length...

Read the 30-06 vs 375 again - you have it backwards - the 375 killed faster, but not near as much faster as ballisitc tables would seem to indicate.

The partition numbers I quoted are both straight from the 260 and 270 load data in the most recent Nosler manual - same barrel length as well.

Why does using SD instead of bullet weight make the 25-06 vs 260 a more sensible comparison??? If you go by SD, just compare 264 to 277 along these lines, which is more or less what I was doing in my example with the 140 and 150 above.

264 120: SD = 0.246
277 130: SD = 0.242

264 130: SD = 0.266
277 140: SD = 0.261

264 140: SD = 0.287
277 150: SD = 0.279

These all sound pretty similar to me...

I agree that the 270 is more gun, just not enough more gun to ever make the difference in the field, even at long ranges.

Now you might be able to persuade me that the 280 has an actual field advantage over the 260, given the pointed 175 option.

O&S:

If you like the Texas heart shot, then you'd be better off with the 260 - higher SD (140 vs. 150). I've personally witnessed 264 140s (non-premium bullets I might add) going completely through mature whitetails (the long way) starting out at a modest 2550 fps or so. Common sense is not being stepped on here - evidently only the pride of 270 owners.

As for the 30-06 vs 375: I don't recall exactly what shot angles were used, I just know they applied the same shot angles to both rounds. They may well have compared across a number of different angles... would have been pretty uninteresting to test only broadside.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
9.3, I'd like to hear the details on all the kills you've made on animals bigger than whitetail deer, particularly elk.

Thanks,

BA

<9.3x62>
posted
Brad:

Two can use the "make ridiculous and time-consuming demands of the other" routine.

Relay to me all your evidence where, using appropriate bullets and comparable shots in each, the 260 (or 6.5x55) failed and the 270 didn't.

Thanks.

I made mention of a controlled experiment (30-06 vs 375) that probably has more credible evidence along these lines that both of our hunting experience put together. I see you have no comment on that.

It's incumbant on those who claim the difference to prove it. This is because the SD and frontal area trade-off with the 264 140 and 277 150 is ambiguous (that is, each holds the upper hand in one). The sensible null hypothesis is that they are comparable.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
In other words you have NO experience witha anything other than whitetail deer except through the scribbling's of various authors found in magazines and books... exactly as I thought and precisely as you sound.

<9.3x62>
posted
Brad:

Your reply is so expected that I composed this response even before you posted.

It wouldn't have mattered how much of my hunting experience I shared with you - you would have accused me of making it up anyway. This is why I refer to your question as "ridiculous and time-wasting". But I'm sure you knew this - a clear indication that you would rather argue than converse.

It is clear you have made up your mind about the 260 and 270, and no amount of data, thought, or field experience will change your mind.

Finally, I wonder who has more *real* experience: the one making the case for the 270 over the 260 based on ballistic tables, i.e. a 250 ft/lb differential, and a slight trajectory differential, or the one making reference to performance in the field. HMMM...

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
In other words you have NO experience witha anything other than whitetail deer except through the scribbling's of various authors found in magazines and books... exactly as I thought and precisely as you sound.

And again...

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:
Brad:

Finally, I wonder who has more *real* experience: the one making the case for the 270 over the 260 based on ballistic tables, i.e. a 250 ft/lb differential, and a slight trajectory differential, or the one making reference to performance in the field. HMMM...

And again.

Yawn...

<bigcountry>
posted
9.3, why are you so sensitive over the 260? Its just a question of opinion and bullistic tables when it gets down to it.

<9.3x62>
posted
bigcountry:

It's my opinion that there is no meaningful difference between the two. I've defended it with numbers, articles, and my common sense hunting experience (which includes bear and elk). Others seem to find no sensibility in these items and instead take offense at these observations.

I'm not even that fond of the 260 - like a poster above, I've had less than wonderful luck with the round. In fact, I am about to send a 260 off to PAC-NOR to be re-barreled.

It is also my opinion that both the 260 and 270 are marginal for elk - a 280 (or 284) with 175s is my minimum choice.

[ 08-28-2003, 22:46: Message edited by: 9.3x62 ]

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Barrel length - most 260's have 22" barrels at the longest, some 20" and 18.5" out there too. 270's almost always have 22" or 24", but there is some 26" and 20" as well out there on production rifles.

My mistake on the 30-06/375 elk test.

Of course there is no *real* advantage on deer out to 300 yards. The 260 does drop more at ranges past 300, compared to the 270, but only an inch or two at 450 yards. We have to argue about something though, and sometimes I gotta play the devil's advocate. [Big Grin]

Personally, I didn't buy my 260 for 300+ yard shots on deer.

[ 08-29-2003, 05:25: Message edited by: todbartell ]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Ok, I guess that makes sense. I love the 260 or 270 for deer hunting, but like to have something with more penetration on elk too.

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by todbartell:
Barrel length - most 260's have 22" barrels at the longest, some 20" and 18.5" out there too. 270's almost always have 22" or 24", but there is some 26" and 20" as well out there on production rifles.

My mistake on the 30-06/375 elk test.

Of course there is no *real* advantage on deer out to 300 yards. The 260 does drop more at ranges past 300, compared to the 270, but only an inch or two at 450 yards. We have to argue about something though, and sometimes I gotta play the devil's advocate. [Big Grin]

Personally, I didn't buy my 260 for 300+ yard shots on deer.
 -

Todd:

Fair enough - you are right, without the minutae we'd have nothing to "forum" about...

Tell me more about this 260 of yours - looks pretty nice.

Just got back from the range - I'm working on a load for my newest favorite deer rifle: a 257 Roberts w/ a lightweight pac-nor barrel on a 722 action. Showing good promise so far. Two of the first five groups with factory ammo were sub 0.5 MOA. I like the 120 gr Speer BT, hopefully I can make it work.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd:

Tell me more about this 260 of yours - looks pretty nice.

Remington Model 700 stainless mtn. rifle
WildCat fiberglass stock (22 oz.)
Weaver bases
Burris Zee rings - med. matte
Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15X40mm ao

My rifle without rings and scope weighs 5 lbs. 13 ozs. The beefy 5-15X adds a bit of weight. Shoots alright with most stuff, but it prefers 120 gr. Ballistic Tips over h4831, or 140 gr. Nosler Partitions with the same powder.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to have a 260 in a 24 inch barrel for blacktail hunting. However, I never felt my 270 was too much cartridge for deer inside 200 yards. Hit em where you are supposed to, and not much meat (if any) gets destroyed. Now I am playing with a 240 wby and the 7 mag. Hey, I wish I had one of each....

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It just amazes me some of the fights people get into on here. Kinda like the marriages that they are the happiest when they are arguing, and over what does not really matter.

While I personally prefer the 260 over the 270 for the efficiency side of the 260, there is nothing wrong with either cartridges, and both will do a good job. I did take a deer last season at 300 yds thru a clear cut, and had the luxury of a Ford F 250s hood to use as a rest.
The bullet was a 100 Ballistic Tip ( I recommend the Partition base on the blood shot damage done). With 43.5 grains of IMR 4064, it chronographed at 3350 out of the 22 inch barrel on a Ruger 77 Mk2. The scope was set on 4 power with a dot. I actually saw the deer drop straight down in the scope as it was recoiling.
It is easily a 300 yds deer cartridge. It also does have considerably less recoil than a 270 with this load.

This evening an elderly friend of the family was over. He has hurt his shoulder and can't shoot his beloved 30/06 any more without two shots killing him. He said he always wanted a 270, and he knew I hand load. So he asked if I would load up some regular loads for a 270 and some downloads to see the difference in how they kick.

So I let him go out and shoot a Husqvarna 270 with a factory load, and two downloads. He loved the downloads even more. Then I let him shoot the same in a Winchester with a Boss in 270. He really loved that downloaded stuff in a the Boss rifle ( by the way, 2500 fps with a 150 grain bullet).

For comparison, since he asked me what I use for deer hunting, I threw the 260 Ruger in the car, and grabbed a couple of 100 grain handloads at the 3350 fps.

He is strictly looking at recoil or lack of it first, and had spent some time looking in my reload manuals at the trajectory charts. After Dinner, he indicated he is going down to the gun shop and ordering a Ruger in a 260.

Interesting perspective for this post from a guy with preconceived notions of one of the calibers, but has elected to purchase the other based on the performance he saw it do, and the lack of recoil which, his shoulder now requires him to think about.

Just passing it on!
[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I've owned a .270, a .243, a .257 weatherby, a .25-06, a .264 win mag, a .257 Roberts amd a .260 Remington.

In reality there's not much difference in them. However I'm liking the .260 Rem the best.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
General thoughts: Gunwriter Bob Hagle once made the comment that "no cartridge will kill any better than the cold, hard energy figures say it will", and for the most part I agree with him.

If I were to hunt those Hill Country whitetails I mentioned exclusively for the rest of my life, I'd feel very good about using something like the .260 Remington or .243 Winchester if I couldn't handle anything bigger. One of my hunting friends has a Remington 700 "C" Grade in .243 Win. as his only rifle, and with Texas' liberal bag limits on deer, he's taken scores of whitetails with that gun using handloaded 95 gr. Nosler Partitions. Another friend bought a Model 700 Mt. Rifle in .260 Rem. just as soon as that cartridge and rifle hit the market, and again, he's had nothing but good results with it on Texas deer. I've seen both of these gentlemen shoot quite a few deer over the years, and I have to say that despite the excellent results, neither cartridge is as convincing as the .270 Win. or .30-06, and I wouldn't consider either the .243 or .260 as a serious mule deer rifle for all of our western hunting conditions, especially if you plan to hunt elk and black bear with the same rifle.

Too many times, I've seen guys who dislike recoil try to make a direct or indirect case that the lighter cartridge kill stuff just as well as the bigger ones do, if not better, and there are isolated cases where this would seem to be true. But based on thirty years of hunting, much of it for animals a good deal bigger than deer, I must say that on a day-in and day-out basis, Bob Hagle's comments ring very true: All other things being equal, cartridges kill about as well as their real-world energy figures say they will - no more, and no less. I don't believe in trying to turn a light cartridge into some sort of giant killer. Such an approach is not realistic, and you can cut yourself a very bitter bargain indeed if you take this philosophy too far.

Last season, I hunted a new ranch in Texas for deer. Since this place is also full of wild hogs - some of them extremely big and agressive - I took a .338 Win. Mag. and ammunition featuring 210 gr. Nosler Partitions. My host was a bit surprised that I brought a .338 Win., but he was tickeled at the clean, efficient way it instantly dropped deer, and in the decisive way it hammered even the biggest boar hogs. After the hunt he said, "make sure you bring that Three-Three-Eight back next year", and I will come November. There's no good reason NOT to. That tough 210 Nosler bullet didn't destroy deer tissue any worse than a controlled-expansion .270 bullet would, and it was instant death on the biggest hogs.

A cartridge is only too big if you can't shoot it.....

AD

[ 08-29-2003, 21:42: Message edited by: allen day ]

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:
General thoughts: Gunwriter Bob Hagle once made the comment that "no cartridge will kill any better than the cold, hard energy figures say it will", and for the most part I agree with him.

If I were to hunt those Hill Country whitetails I mentioned exclusively for the rest of my life, I'd feel very good about using something like the .260 Remington or .243 Winchester if I couldn't handle anything bigger. One of my hunting friends has a Remington 700 "C" Grade in .243 Win. as his only rifle, and with Texas' liberal bag limits on deer, he's taken scores of whitetails with that gun using handloaded 95 gr. Nosler Partitions. Another friend bought a Model 700 Mt. Rifle in .260 Rem. just as soon as that cartridge and rifle hit the market, and again, he's had nothing but good results with it on Texas deer. I've seen both of these gentlemen shoot quite a few deer over the years, and I have to say that despite the excellent results, neither cartridge is as convincing as the .270 Win. or .30-06, and I wouldn't consider either the .243 or .260 as a serious mule deer rifle for all of our western hunting conditions, especially if you plan to hunt elk and black bear with the same rifle.

Too many times, I've seen guys who dislike recoil try to make a direct or indirect case that the lighter cartridge kill stuff just as well as the bigger ones do, if not better, and there are isolated cases where this would seem to be true. But based on thirty years of hunting, much of it for animals a good deal bigger than deer, I must say that on a day-in and day-out basis, Bob Hagle's comments ring very true: All other things being equal, cartridges kill about as well as their real-world energy figures say they will - no more, and no less. I don't believe in trying to turn a light cartridge into some sort of giant killer. Such an approach is not realistic, and you can cut yourself a very bitter bargain indeed if you take this philosophy too far.

Last season, I hunted a new ranch in Texas for deer. Since this place is also full of wild hogs - some of them extremely big and agressive - I took a .338 Win. Mag. and ammunition featuring 210 gr. Nosler Partitions. My host was a bit surprised that I brought a .338 Win., but he was tickeled at the clean, efficient way it instantly dropped deer, and in the decisive way it hammered even the biggest boar hogs. After the hunt he said, "make sure you bring that Three-Three-Eight back next year", and I will come November. There's no good reason NOT to. That tough 210 Nosler bullet didn't destroy deer tissue any worse than a controlled-expansion .270 bullet would, and it was instant death on the biggest hogs.

A cartridge is only too big if you can't shoot it.....

AD

Holding bullet construction, weight, and diameter more or less fixed, which perhaps is what you are implicitly assuming, then I am inclinded to agree with you. Surely you don't mean a 243 75 and a 264 140 both at 2000 ft/lbs.

Respectfully, those who choose lesser rounds may do so for many reasons, not necessarily because they "can't handle" more. Personally, I object to excess recoil on principle, not because it hampers my ability to shoot. Why pay MSRP when you can pay invoice, and still drive the same truck off the lot?

To be sure, you can't take the recoil reduction argument to extremes (just like you can't steal the truck from the lot). For example, I would not compare the 257 Roberts, the 25-06, or even the 257 WM to the 270 for mixed hunting up to and including the odd elk. This, despite the fact that the latter two dominate the 260 in energy.

The 264 bore, like the 284 bore, and 338 bore (among others) share the unique property of offering a number of very well constructed heavy-for-caliber bullets. It is not uncommon for the rounds in these diameters to offer performance that seems to exceed expectations. Thus, the 6.5 (with 120 gr +), while closer to the 257 is diameter, is more fairly compared (IMO) to the 277 bore.

Anyway, opinions will always differ...