New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adams&Bennet-followup
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There has been much discussion on this board on the quality of A&B barrels, so I thought I would relate a personal experience. Last year, I purchased one of the Midway "Combos", "Fancy" grade wood and a .257 Roberts bbl(their lightweight 21 incher). At the time, I posted a note about how pleased I was with the wood. Results before details: Finally got the little rifle finished, and took it to the range this week. I had less than a half box of standard Remington 117gr corelokts, and a handful of reloads. After getting the rifle zeroed, had only 3 rounds of the Rem left. It put those three rounds into a group just under an inch.
Now, that's not "varmit" quality, agreed. But friends, this was with a Burris 1.75x5 scope, and at 5x at a hundred yards, and off the shelf "Wally World" ammo,I doubt my ability to do much better... I don't know-nor do I care-what it'd do with 5 or 10 shot strings. I built this rifle as an East Texas whitetail killer, and I am most concerned about where the FIRST round is going. It'll probably never be fired more than twice in a hunting situation...
Details: Wish I knew how to post a pic, the little gun is pretty. I wanted it as light as possible, so made several modifications to the stock. The "pads" on the forearm were removed, and the forearm slimmed a bit. Tossed the metal buttpad/gripcap that came with it and installed horn pad/tip. Pachmeyer Flush Mount sling swivels. Finished it with an oil finish. The bolt handle is sleeved with horn. (the handle itself is a threaded rod, with the horn sleeve threaded/epoxyed on) The action is a 1909 Argy, aluminim replacement bottom metal, bolt shroud replaced with a Dave Gentry 3 position Winny style safety. Timney trigger installed. Bolt was blued, extractor and follwer jeweled. Bolt release was "slicked up" and the front end checkered for gripping. The action was glass/pillar bedded-made the rear pillar from aluminum bar stock. The barrel, instead of being free floated was bedded in silicon. (this was an experiment-read about it, but never tried it. Apparently, it works-or doesn't hurt!) All the steel was polished down to 1500 grit, and I blued with Brownell's Dicropan IM. Conetrol scope mounts, and the above mentioned Burris scope. Total cost, doing all the work to date myself, under a grand. By the time I get it checkered (which I WON'T do myself!) it should run close to a grand or a bit over.
I'm a happy camper...

[This message has been edited by Pedestal (edited 04-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Pedestal (edited 04-07-2002).]

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops! I meant to post this in the "Gunsmithing" forum...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My A & B barreled fast-twist .22-250 is back from the gunsmith, and it's in a stock, though not bedded, and across the chronograph 37.5 gr. of WC 852 (slow) makes 3100 fps with the 80-grain Sierra. Next time out I hope to get some accuracy information, and I'll report back then.

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I put together an ugly gun for sort of an ugliest gun contest which I won(?) with a stainless 7/57 barrel I got on a closeout sale from Midway. With Sellier and Belloit 173 grain loads it averaged 1 3/4 inches and with 140 grain reloads with the Rem corlokt it edged an inch, with 160 grain Sierra boat tails it gets three shot touching groups! Not so impressed with S&B brass but the barrel does not build up copper fouling at all. Next project is to cut barrel to 19 inches and fit with synthetic stock. to make up a treestand rifle.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on the benefits of the Midway barrels and combos. I have several including some big bores and they all have been very accurate- MORE ACCURATE THAN I CAN BE. The cost has allowed me to try some different combinations before investing too heavily. I have rebuilt one rifle using new wood and adding niceties like new bolt shrouds better triggers and safeties and sights once I knew the thing was a shooter. I also dumped one for my expenses once I knew it wasn't my cup of tea. Not that it didn't shoot but the reloading was more work than I wanted on a regular basis. Wildcats can be like that.
Nevertheless. Congrats on your beauty and I will watch for you photos.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
Ive got a 98 action at the smith now having a CM A&B 260 rem barrel installed. I did a 22/250 stainless heavy fluted A&B on another 98 a few years back that I liked so much that I shot the throat out of and will be going to the smith to be set back for a new chamber and throat to be cut. These barrels cannot be beat for the price and Im sure that if you really got a bad one that Midway would replace it. IMHO::::MV

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had several A & B Barrels, and have not had a bum one yet.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote