Find
Notify
Tools

HotCore re Micro-Medallion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Hi HC- sorry to start a new thread for this, but with all the BIG pics loaded onto the thread where we were discussing the Micro-Medallion Brownings, It overwhelmed my dial up and small capacity computer.

Anyway, the base on my .22-250 Medallion is a Leupold 1-piece base. Fit fine with no problems.

The base(s) on the .223 Micro-Medallion are some un-named two-piece set. At least there is no name visible on them anywhere...I just went down to the vault and checked. They may very well be Millets, as I was at one time trying out a bunch of that brand on various rifles. Anyway, they were no problem either.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey AC, Yes, as far as I know from buddies who use Brownings, that Titanium Mountain Rifle is/was the only one to have the (non-) problem.

There was a fellow named Tony that I used to see at the Leeds Range in S.C. all the time. He used nothing but S&S Browning rifles, Leupold Scopes and Federal Factory ammo. It seemed like he always had a different caliber or two when he came and every single one of them shot groups that would have made me happy. Very well made, slick moving bolts and they had a nice feel to them in my shoulder.

The thing that gets me, and always has reguardless of the source, is the Nose-in-the-Air attitude. I normally laugh it off and pity the fools. allan day comes to mind.
----

Do the Micros come in Stainless and Synthetic? How much do they weigh?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey AC, Yes, as far as I know from buddies who use Brownings, that Titanium Mountain Rifle is/was the only one to have the (non-) problem.

The thing that gets me, and always has regardless of the source, is the Nose-in-the-Air attitude. I normally laugh it off and pity the fools. allan day comes to mind.
----

Do the Micros come in Stainless and Synthetic? How much do they weigh?

Me too, HC, Me2.

I quit subscribing to Gun Tests after their first year...seemed like they loved all Brownings regardless their faults. They'd rank a Browning a top choice even after describing it as having what was basically "poor inletting" , and other faults, while dinging the hell out of a Remington product for the same problem.

Seems like a lot of people buy things not for how they perform, but for snob appeal & as status indicators...I'd put a lot of Hummer II and Hummer III buyers in that category, as well as a lot of Sako, Browning, Kimber, and other gun owners.

That's not to say there aren't a lot of "regular" guys who own those brands/models, or that some of them aren't really good products...but I think it varies from individual to individual, whether owner or product.

Best wishes,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started out with Savage Lever Actions and Pre-64 M70s, because it was before 1964. Big Grin The Elders were interested in Wildcats, so I learned about them and thought they shot as flat as any rifle would ever be able to achieve. Of course that was all Wrong.

Enjoyed shooting lots of things in the CORPS and began buying some of the original M77 Rugers. Bores a little generous, but a right nice Fully Adjustable Trigger. Kind of heavy though, but shot OK. Still always had a few M99 Savages.

Noticed the M700 Remington rifles making some otherwise questionable shooters into some right fine shots. Studied "why" they were such fine shooting rifles and was impressed.

Still I was going to stick with Ruger - until - they changed the Trigger Design on the Mark II M77 to a Two-Stage Non-Adjustable. Went to Remington and have been very impressed with their overall Quality, Accuracy and Ruggedness.

Also picked up a Kimber, a Weatherby and a Marlin - all Made in the USA. Got rid of the Kimber because it was simply too nice for my style of Hunting. Swapped and got two S&S Remingtons for it.

Now the current Marlin Bolt Action and the S&S Savages look interesting.

A buddy of mine Killed over 1000 Deer with a 30-06 Savage M110 and a Tasco World Class Scope. He decided to semi-retire the old B&W M110 and got a S&S M116 Savage in 30-06 and stuck a nice large Leupold on it. He was wearing the Deer out with it when Cancer took him out.

I can appreciate the $$$High$$$ firearms, but they do not fill my requirements any better than the inexpensive rifles.

Saw two guys at the Range a long time ago who had a 270Win and either a 25-06 or 30-06 H&R with a Bushnell or Tasco mounted on each rifle. They were shooting some right fine groups which caught my attention. Walked down to talk to them and they were also amazed at how well the rifles were shooting.

The had the rifles On Sale in Charlotte back then for (I think) $99 and with the Scope they had right at $150 in each rifle. They had 4 Calibers available, as well as I can remember. Each of the guys told me they planned to go right back to the Gun Shop and buy the ones they did not have, or Four new H&Rs for each guy, with about $600 in them.

And they were using the inexpensive White Box Winchester ammo to top it off. One guy mentioned each Season was particularly rough on his Browning's Stock and he thought it might get a long rest.

Sure are lots of fine rifles to choose from today. Then toss in the Custom and semi-Custom rifles and it is the very best time ever for buying rifles - if - you can find them.

My local Gun Shop has been looking for a 357Mag Marlin for me, for quite some time now. But, eventually the right one will come along.
-----

Did you ever buy one of the 17Rimfires?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, never bought a .17 Rimfire yet. Harn't been able to justify one...so's ta speak. Still have several other rifles and about half a dozen pistols I haven't even got 'round to shooting yet, and still have more than 10 "project" barrels to put on various of my own actions here.

Life is too short!!

Sure would like to get around to a .338 Federal...think that would be a super deer gun for your area in something like a BLR, if a guy could drag it behind his pickup for a mile or two right off, so's he wouldn' be 'fraid to take it out in the woods. [Would be real nice for the coastal (Columbian) blacktails here too...]

Might work even better in a Savage M99, but I'm not gonna mess one of those beauties up by converting it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HC -

Sorry I kept missing the part about "do the Micro-Medallions come in S&S?" Sorry, I don't know. Except in match rifles, I try to avoid stainless guns like I would the plague. No functional reasons, I just don't like their looks and for my own personal guns I don't have to buy what I don't like.

So, I never even notice brand, or model, or caliber once I see a hunting rifle is made of stainless...I just ignore it from then on.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
...Sure would like to get around to a .338 Federal...think that would be a super deer gun for your area in something like a BLR, if a guy could drag it behind his pickup for a mile or two right off, so's he wouldn' be 'fraid to take it out in the woods. ...
Or simply let me carry it on a few Hunts. Wink The woods/swamps seem to "come alive" with ankle-grabbing vines and man-eating briers when I go moseying along through them while trying to be as quiet as possible. When I get my Focus fine-tuned to the "Scan Mode", it somehow randomly disengages the Stealth Mode and activates the Klutz Mode. So, the rifle tends to protect the Trees from me falling against them and those with Termite Food Stocks used to loose their "Looker" status fairly quickly. Plus the Grrrrrs on the Deep Blue retain just enough DEET, Sweat, Mist, and Drops from the leaves, to create a Straw like Patina in about the same time. Sure is tough on the Resale Value.

Hunted with a group of guys who was attending East Carolina while I was in the CORPS. They took me to some of the finest Goose and Duck Hunting a person could imagine. Often Limited out in less than an hour after sunrise at Lake Mattamuskeet, or out on the coastal tributaries.

I found a Deer Club that would let me bring a bunch of guys to Dove Hunt. Took the East Carolina fellows and they invited a few of their buddies. One was a guy named Jim that they went to school with.

After everyone got in place on the field, it took maybe an hour for the Doves to start flying. I noticed Jim was dropping them with nearly every shot and it sounded like a semi-auto. So, I worked my way around to him to see what he was using.

Jim had a single shot 12ga with the Forearm Duct Taped to the barrel. The Barrel had acquired a completely Brown finish and there was no Finish on the Stock. He told me it was his "only" firearm and he did all his Hunting with it from Deer, Hogs, Bears, Squirrels, Rabbits, Birds(Quail), Doves, Geese, and Ducks. The saltwater Duck and Goose Hunting had changed the appearance of the old 12ga before it was ever Handed-Down" to Jim. So, he said, "I know where it hits!", and he sure did.

That 338Fed does indeed sound like a fine cartridge. And I agree it would serve a person well where I've Hunted.

One of my local buddies has a whole bunch of rifles, revolvers and pistols that he has never fired. Looks like you and Dude would get along fine in that regard. I don't have anythiing that hasn't been fired. I'll guess the longest I've had one without firing it was a month or so. Used to do all my Trading in Jan, Feb and Mar when the GunShops needed to move something out and make some money.

I do understand about people not liking the S&S firearms. If they do not fit their needs, then they should use what does. Of course, if a person isn't going to take them out of the house to even see if they fire, then I can see where Blue and Wood would do fine. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Except in match rifles, I try to avoid stainless guns like I would the plague. No functional reasons, I just don't like their looks and for my own personal guns I don't have to buy what I don't like.

ahha now here lives a sane and sensible man thumb

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HC-

Well, I am a lot like you when it comes to disengaging stealth mode and engaging klutz mode. And, I do not own a single gun I would not take out in the field, so all of mine except the one's I haven't gotten around to yet show "dueling scars" of honour.

Unlike some folks, I just don't care if my rifles (or any other guns) have honest wear and tear on them. I try to never abuse them, but then I try not to ever get my wife angry at me either. I suspect I'm about equally successful at each endeavor.

Mine which haven't been shot find themselves in that neglected state simply because there are only 24 ours in a day...even though some days supply enough work to eat up 48 hours in one gulp. Even though I've been officially retired for 18 years now, I am still loading for, feeding, and sometimes shooting over 140 guns...at least that is how many sets of reloading dies I had when I counted them a month or two ago to see why I keep running out of space...

That might be impressive to some, but to me it is a sign of an incurable mental illness. Here is a guy who never seems to come up with enough money to rebuild the deck on the barn-facing side of the house, but has just been negotiating with an AR member to buy yet another Winchester '86, and Duane Weibe's partner is stopping by in a week or two to pick up a Springfield sporter for Mr. Weibe to work on... Ridiculous, huh? Well, maybe 11 or 12 years under the sod will slow it all down...

BTW, is the weather as crazy in your area as in ours this year? It is almost July, and we are still getting rain clouds almost every day here for at least part of the day.

Take care HC, you're a pretty good guy for one of them "Bambi-killers" the PETA folk keep warning us about....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I try not to ever get my wife angry at me either.
Hey AC, I never was(past tense) real good at that either. rotflmo

I sure don't have anything even close to that amount of stuff. Pared it down over the years. Had so much stuff at one time that I kept it at three separate places so just in case something happened it would not all be wiped out. But I still didn't have nearly that much.

I remember that original Kimber I had and there is still no way I could ever take it afield if I still had it. Always concerned about a single drop of Sweat getting between the Barrel and Stock, just as it did on a 7mmRemMag M77 I had.

I had 26 coats of Car Wax on that M77 Barrel and Action from a "Tip" I'd gotten from a Gun Rag. However, the "Tip" preceded good old DEET. DEET cuts through Car Wax as fast as spray Brake Cleaner will rip the finish off a stock. Eventually removed that old RamLine Stock the next day and there was a Rust Spot about " , " as big as that comma. Apparently a drop of Sweat or Water dripping from the tree landed so it went directly between the Sling Stud and the Barrel.

However, I did Blast a nice Bambi that morning with it from about 15yds from a stand we called The Spook Seat. My buddy John had something sneak up on him while he was in his truck one morning waiting for Legal Hours to arrive, but it didn't leave any tracks in the damp sand. bewildered So we dubbed it the Spook Seat. I nearly dead centered a limb in front of me that I couldn't see in the scope. Just happened to think about it before the shot, canted my head to the side, and it was about 6" ahead of the Muzzle. I'd guess that would have been exciting. Big Grin

Have fun while you still can. One day we won't be able to at all and will have to rely on just the memories.

Best of luck to you.