Find
Notify
Tools

30 cal. 110 gr. for deer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
fishing Has anyone used any of the 30 cal. 110gr. bullets on deer or antelope ? Which bullet? What distance and muzzle velocity? What size animal ? How did they perform ? Is this just a wet dream? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Dang - Roger,
there are a bunch of guys on this forum trying to turn varmit rifles into deer rifles by using heavy for caliber bullets, and here you go trying to turn a deer rifle into a varmit rifle, by using light bullets.

And you have been so conservative, or at least I thought so. Wink

I have a friend in Texas who really likes the 125 gr ballistic tips for deer. He shoots them fast in his 308, and says they explode, and don't exit usually, but the deer drops. I listened, but didn't ask any questions. Now I'm wondering about meat damage. I know they are quick on coyote. I saw him get one at over 300 yards. I still say it was a lucky shot.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
In pistol calibers such as the .30 Herrett or .300 Whisper, where the reduced velocities allow for less rapid expansion and increased penetration, the 110 SPs and V-Max do OK -- not great, mind you, but OK. (The 125 grain BT is much better for such applications.)

At .308 WCF and higher velocities, I'd personally never use them on big game. In addition to coming apart rather quickly, they generally aren't the most accurate bullets, either.

With that being said, I have used the Hornady 110 grain SP in reduced .308 WCF loads to harvest a few predators at ranges out to maybe 125 yards. For that purpose, they did OK unless bone was hit. Then, even with a MV of just 2275 fps, they still came unglued rather quickly.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9379 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Roger,

FWIW Barnes 130s in 30 cal accounted for six deer here. I would rather use them than C & C 180s. If it weren't for the lousy BC of a 110 copper bullet limiting useful range, I would happily use whatever Barnes provided. I can assure you the 130s don't lack for penetration or whump. Not even a little bit.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
Dang - Roger,

And you have been so conservative, or at least I thought so. WinkKB

Still am KB! Kinda just testing the water to see what's going on. fishing

Looking at it objectively what is the difference between killing a 150 pound animal with a 110gr. 25 cal. bullet and a 110 grain 30 cal. bullet; BC., SD., Centrifical force, jacket thickness and a host of attributes that are bullet construction related. Some might think of it as a youth load. Would it really serve a purpose? If this thread runs long enough we may find out coffee

This is a far cry from comparing 22 cal 55gr bullets at 3650fps. and 30 cal 180gr. bullets at 2600fps. for deer killing adequacy. Roll Eyes

When I tuned my computer into Accurate Reloading I had some really great eye openings and some not so great surprises. Eeker

One of the later was the number people performing on what I consider the fringe areas. shocker It is understanable to be an adventuror and searcher but not when the end is to establish marginal performance as a Norm.

beerAt present and for the future it is highly unlikely that I'll be shooting at any deer, large or small, with a 30 cal. bullet lighter than 150 gr. spaceroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,
Just wondering why you want to do this ?
Can't think of anything you would gain.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
Roger,
Just wondering why you want to do this ?
Can't think of anything you would gain.
...tj3006

TJ, Perhaps you see a down side to this thread that I failed to envision. Please let me know if you think I'm screwing up and why. No foul taken if you have a broader focus on the subject matter.Thanks beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On election day, I bought a Savage model 340 in 30-30. I bought the Hornady 130 grain spitzers and have tried it with 36-38 grains of H335. I haven't fired many rounds yet, but 37.5 seemed most accurate at 100 yards. There was very little recoil, making it fun to shoot. My plan is to load the 110 gr TNT and hope to get the same point of impact at say, 150 yards.
It was fun to shoot but there's now snow on the ground and my ballistic research is at a standstill.

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You reminded me. About 25 years ago I took a small Blacktail in the bottom of one of my canyons. I was up on top looking down at the buck as it was walking away from me at about 75 yards out, and downward at about a 30 degree angle. I put a 110 gr. Speer SP from my .30-06 just forward of center of it's back. The buck dropped dead without a wiggle. The bullet had broken the spine, ranged down thru it's heart, and was laying against the skin in the center of the chest hide. It was perfectly expanded, but I can't remember how much it weighed, although I know I weighed it. I do remember being surprised and impressed how well it did. I liked that it was extremely flat shooting to. Have thought of trying that bullet again, but never have.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have led a sheltered life, I guess. I have not yet shot a deer at over 75 yards so, when I saw that rifle, it seemed just the thing for me. With a spitzer, it seems to me that the 30-30 is a 200 yard deer cartridge, maybe a bit over. When I was a kid, my uncle let me fire his 30-06 with 180 grain bullets. I have not yet recovered from that recoil and I just want a rifle that will do the job without a lot of punishment on my end. No, my Bob doesn't have objectionable recoil, but I never seem to take it along in the pickup. Once I fiddle with the 30-30 a bit more, I expect it to replace the .222 in the pickup.
If I ever draw an antelope tag, though, it'll be the Bob with 100 grain Speer spitzers.

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sonar59
posted Hide Post
There was a time when Speer and Sierra made 125 grain bullets of deer harvest construction for the 30/30. They had flat or blunt noses for tubular magazine useage. While they didn't have the best BC, they could be driven at a good clip for the old .30/30. These may still be available and might be good fodder for the 300 Savage with moderate to higher throttle.

Sonar59

Posts: 29 | Location: Linn Country Oregon | Registered: 09 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
Roger,

FWIW Barnes 130s in 30 cal accounted for six deer here. I would rather use them than C & C 180s. If it weren't for the lousy BC of a 110 copper bullet limiting useful range, I would happily use whatever Barnes provided. I can assure you the 130s don't lack for penetration or whump. Not even a little bit.

The all copper bullet was one of the things that perked my curiousity prior to starting this thread. coffee

Because of some California restrictions a number of my varmint shooting buddies are working with the 34gr all copper 22 cal.bullets trying to get performing loads.
Roll EyesWith larger game California hunters are probably going to eventually suffer from the same restrictions, the question in my mind is ,would the all copper 110gr. 30 cal. bullet be a genuine option? ConfusedAgain this is only one facit of me starting this thread.

It would seem that the extra length of the 110gr. bullet would not be great enough to preclude stabalization.It also seems reasonable to expect such a bullet with a 2600 fps. muzzle velocity to be adequate to take down most deer to at least 125 yds., poor SD and BC accounted for. fishing

This is all thought process looking for substantiation or objective rejection. beerroger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have loaded a number of 110gn v max in a 30.06 AI,

they shot very well, head and neck shots on deer great, chest shots turned the entire contents into soup, nothing ever took a step,

as for meat damage well i never eat the ribs anyway.
if you were shooting for meat then i would say maybe not the best option, if you are shooting for control purposes then an excellent option.
pull the trigger, drop to shot, move on to the next animal.

never ran them through a chronograph so cannot help you there, i do know it was running pretty hot and the bullet go there pretty quick.

range of kills was from 40 yds to 278 yds, everything from deer to foxes never moved from the spot. if you caught foxes right you could cut them into 2 pieces.

high neck shots on deer took heads clean off, chest shots did the job.

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 29 December 2008 21:29 Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by miles58:
Roger,

The all copper bullet was one of the things that perked my curiousity prior to starting this thread. coffee

Because of some California restrictions a number of my varmint shooting buddies are working with the 34gr all copper 22 cal.bullets trying to get performing loads.
Roll EyesWith larger game California hunters are probably going to eventually suffer from the same restrictions, the question in my mind is ,would the all copper 110gr. 30 cal. bullet be a genuine option? ConfusedAgain this is only one facit of me starting this thread.

It would seem that the extra length of the 110gr. bullet would not be great enough to preclude stabalization.It also seems reasonable to expect such a bullet with a 2600 fps. muzzle velocity to be adequate to take down most deer to at least 125 yds., poor SD and BC accounted for. fishing

This is all thought process looking for substantiation or objective rejection. beerroger

My Dad said Talk is cheap it takes money to buy whiskey. Do it and than talk about it. Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!!

Roger,

I killed one of the six out at 140 with a 130 grain TTSX out of a 30-06 at ~3150. Like the others it was a one shot kill that put the deer down right there. This one moved 15 feet or so. Heart and lungs gone.

I think you would get more than 125 yards out of a 110gr 30 cal TTSX/TSX. But why? A short fat bullet will suffer for accuracy more, suffer for range, and likely penetration as well. A 130 gives you range, accuracy and penetration to throw in the toilet.

Maybe a TTSX at .308 110 would be good out to 300. We won't know until someone hands us one, but if you want to kill stuff with a 110 why not use a .25? Or better yet a 6mm at 85 grains? I Killed one last year with a TSX out of a .243 that penetrated a good 30 inches before it exited. No recognizable lung tissue, heart loose in the chest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year, I saw a fellow use a 55 gr Ballistic Tip out of a 22-250 on a medium size Texas doe. He took a lung shot putting the bullet between two ribs. The heart and lungs were purpleized. When the deer was skinned you could see purple goop inside the deer. I've never seen heart and lungs this messed up.

But I wonder what would have happened had the bullet hit a rib on the way in. Not much margin for error with that. But darned effective if properly placed. I don't think I will be doing that.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Based on the deer I have gutted and what hit them, the 110 gr TSX from a 30-06 would be over kill.

85 gr from a .243 would be more appropriate.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi i 110 vmax on sika deer with great results using n133 46 grains getting 3150 fps out of a 22 inch steyr tact elite groups just under 1.5 inchs at 300 yards yes 1.5 inchs im also using 125 btips great round for deer

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Almost everything 150 to 250 lbs I've killed in the last five or six years fell to a 130 gr Barnes X boattail (pre-TSX) from a 300 Win Mag at 3600 fps. Before that I shot my 270 with the old Sierra 90 gr HP a lot, again at about 3600 fps. I think the 270 is pretty good analogy to the 110 gr 30 cal.

The last animal shot with the 90 gr 270 was a 200 lb Axis buck at about 90 yds, neck shot in full rut. The little pill shattered a vertebrae and exited the far side. But when I took the 270, I always had an abundance of shot opportunities and had always been able to pick my shots.

In fact, the only animal I lost to the 270 was a well-hit axis with a 140 gr Hornady boat tail. We found it the next morning after coyotes killed it; the core had slipped the jacket and not penetrated straight.

So while controversial at best, the light bullets work extremely well as long as you respect the circumstances of the shot and are willing to pass if they aren't right. Sorta like bow hunting in my opinion.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
coffeeWell so far this has been a very interesting eye-opener for me. here is an area in which I never ventured but some times wondered about. beerroger

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 30 December 2008 18:43 Hide Post
Based on the deer I have gutted and what hit them, the 110 gr TSX from a 30-06 would be over kill.

85 gr from a .243 would be more appropriate.

Oh, I don't know about overkill, but 130 grain TTSXs certainly will get the job done with plenty to spare There were no recovered bullets out of the 130s that killed six deer here. Fifteen feet was about as far as any of them moved, one good jump. They didn't wreck a lot of meat, but the four that went through the chest made a thorough mess of things in there. I will use the 130 TTSXs in preference to everything else. They are extremely accurate, shoot very flat and put deer down as well as anything I have ever used. I am a little leery of them in the 300 WM though. At 3500 FPS they just seem like a little much.

A .243 is certainly more than enough with an 85 grain TSX at ~3200. Next year I will pop a couple with a .223 70 grain TSX at ~3000, and I have no doubt whatsoever that it will also be more than enough. I will work up some 53 grain TSXs for the .223s also and I fully expect them to work just fine too.

I did note that 130 grain TSXs have a much shorter bearing surface and tended to be noticeably less accurate than the TTSx 130s in four of five guns I tried them in. The 300 WM shot 1/2" groups with them at just under 3500 FPS though.