New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x64 Shultz@Larsen barrel twist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi: I've got a S@H model 54 which is a beautifully made rifle in 7x64 cal with a 26" barrel. Nice rifle but it has a 1-14" twist. What bullet is going to stabalize at that slow twist except a 120gr. flatbase? What were the makers thinking? Even the 7x57 which has been around a whole lot longer has the right twist. The bore is mint so i hate to rebarrel. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A 120-grsain flatbase MAYBE!! BUT nothing much heavier. This is a varmint rifle! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one with the same twist. It shot 154 gr Norma Factory loads quite well. I would give those a shot, before I would say its a varmint rifle. What is interesting is that you could get those rifles with a 1 in 8 to 1 in 20 twist. For some reason the 1 in 14 twist is quite common. Or at least all the ones I ever saw were in 1 in 14 twist. Mine shoots well with 140 gr Nosler Partitions too. Only thing is that my rifle is chambered for the 7 x 61 S+L a popular 1950's pre 7mm Remington Mag. cartridge.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote