New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 load advice needed
 Login/Join

<Hubie>
posted
First, let me apologize for the length of this post in advance. What I'm trying to achieve is a "short cut" to load development, so I won't be fumbling around in the dark for so long. The rifle is a much modified '96 Swede. Stocked mannilicher style, bbl length about 19". (Factory bbl shortened)
For reference purposes, Norma 156RN will go about 1 1/4", Norma 139SP about 1 1/2", Rem 140's 1" if I'm having a good day. So far, the only handloads I've tried was Speer 120 over 45grs(45.5grs) of IMR4350, Rem cases (once fired, neck sized in Lee Collet), CCI primer. This load gave me an honest 1"(1 1/4"), and average velocity of 2569fps(2656fps). (Actually, I don't think there is much difference between the two-by the time I got to the 45.5gr loads, the bbl was heating up a bit)What I'm looking for is sub-moa with a bullet in the 120gr-140gr range. Preferably in the 120 range, for the slightly flatter trajectory. The rifle has a -looonng- throat. With the Stoney Point tool, I couldn't touch the lands with the above bullet. I just set them out as far as possible, with a COL of 3.085. As for the reasoning on the above bullet/powder combo-that's what I had on hand at the time... I was quite surprised at the 156gr Normas, not shooting any better than they did. I -assumed- with the long throat, they would shoot better than any...Not interesting in blazing velocity or pushing this old '96 beyond it's limits.
Any "shortcuts" would be appreciated...

<Mats>
posted
Hubie,

Shortcut 1: Seat them deeper.
Shortcut 2: Seat them deeper still.

You'll often find top accuracy in these funnel throats by seating .050"-.100" from the lands. Conventional throats (freeflight + 1.5-2.5 deg. throat) like 'em on or near the lands. Most 'Swedes' like CCI or older Win primers, few like Federal - I guess this relates to the massive impact from the heavy firing pin and the full 1" stroke, short-stroking them seems to improve grouping with Remington and Federal primers.

Another thing to consider is loading with faster powders than normally used, with this short a barrel the muzzle pressure and thus -flash is 'a whole hatful' and slight imperfections in the crown can affect bullet flight more than usual. This will lead to a reduction in velocity of course, but as you probably already have seen it kills 'em stonedead anyways...

Good luck,

-- Mats

<FAINA>
posted
Hi Hubie,
it's difficolt to say if your rifle can give you great performance. At first what twist have the barrel??? If it shot good with heawy bullet it can shot bad with light bullets. Normaly the old 6.5 shoot great with 140g bullets, but if you like 120g.....
Every barrel have hese preference so you must seat the bullet deeper (0.02" step); if it shot bad seat it higher. Wenn you have find the best position you can work at the powder weight.
ciao and good work
FAINA

<Hubie>
posted
Thanks for the response. Hadn't thought about the faster powder idea, that's worth a try. One of the mods I did on this rifle was turning off the thumb tab on the cocking piece, and shortening the cocking piece and firing pin to match an FN style bolt shroud. So the firing assembly is a bit lighter, but still quite heavy, of course.

As for twist, the bbl is orginal, so I think it has the 7 1/2" twist.

<Charlie S>
posted
Hubie
I believe Mats is on the right track.
I have Two Sporterized 96 Swedes that I have used for deer hunting for several years now. 22"and 24" shortened military barrels. 120 nosler balistic tip and 125 Nosler partition bullets are my standard load. Neither bullet can be seated to within .100 of the lands, but both rifles with either bullet will shoot around 1 minute of angle( 5 shot group, good enough for hunting)
One of my target barreled 6.5X55s (6 groove, 1-8 twist commercial bbl.) has 10,000 rounds through it,(set back 1" at 5,000) It will no longer shoot as good as it once did with 140 and 142s, but makes bug hole 5 shot groups at 200 yards with 120 matchkings, They are seated about .120 off of the lands ???
I use 42 grns. of 4064, Lapua case, and Fed.or Win. primer. 2900 FPS ?
Regards cocking piece and length of firing pin fall-- I use the Dayton Trasiter cock on open cocking piece,then cut the nose of the cocking cam back to length of original and contour and polish and lap in. You still have a short cock on close, but don't have to modify bolt and have shortened striker fall to about 3/8 inch, use about 22-24 lb, firingpin spring. works slick for me.
Good Luck
Charlie S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent luck (accuracy wise)with the Sierra 142 gr. Match, Winchester cases and 36.0 gr. H4895, COL= 3.050. First time to the range shot a "194". The rifle is a gorgeous M96 "marksman" manufactured in 1919 by Carl Gustav. I am considering aquiring a M36 "calvary" model, anyone out there have any experience with this rifle?

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Hubie>
posted
I guess I'm somewhat of a tradionalist. I've never really seen the advantage of "cock on open". Also, in the past, I have preferred the Mauser 2-stage trigger above all else (if it was slicked up properly). However, on this rifle I installed a Timney, and I have been VERY impressed... Makes me wonder what I might have been missing all these years with the high dollar Jewel's, etc.

This rifle has been a "nostalgia trip" from the beginning. I built it to resemble, as closely as possible, a Mauser Mannilcher style sporting rifle. Considering it has the orginal bbl, it may never shoot sub-moa, and, in truth, is perfectly adequate as is for the most likely quarry. (E.TX whitetails) However, it's fun trying...

I'm going to test seating the bullets deeper, and using a faster powder. Also will try some 140gs's when I get some. Will report back my findings...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine likes Re22 and 140 gr Hornadays. I can't remember the load exactly but I will try to find it for you. It really pulls the group in tight. My gun is a little particular about it's ammo. Several loads won't group well. I will get back to you. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Hubie>
posted
Already had the 140 Hornadays on my "want list".. Would be interested in your load data.

<chris schwartz>
posted
6.5x55 is my weapon of choice here in
South Texas for varmints through long
sendero shots on big whitetails and
tough wild hogs.

I use one load in my guns. Absolute
performer. Deadly and very accurate.
Flat shooting. Nil recoil. Good penetration.
I will stack this load against anybody's
magnumitis. No sense trying to dream
up the most efficient and ideal medium
game cartridge, Mauser did it a long time
ago !!

125 gr Nosler Partition
49 gr AA3100
Federal 210
2900 fps

have a good one, Chris

p.s. mine are all Mod 96 sporters

<Charlie S>
posted
Hubie
I am a cock on close fan too. I May not have been to clear about modifying the Dayton-Trasiter "cock on open cocking piece",
It becomes cock on close when you shorten the cam nose, but the sear portion of the cocking piece is further to the rear,thus giving you a much shorter firing pin fall,and quicker lock time. Sorry for the confusion.

Chris
I use 48 grns./3100 and 125 Partition, for std, hunting load ,A tad slower, but I know of a about a dozen bucks that I'll bet didn't know the difference, Good load !!
I have been hunting with sporterized M96s for 15 years, don't need anything else for Deer, etc..
Best Regards
Charlie S.

<chris schwartz>
posted
p.s. --

just an afterthought about your swede --

is the action glassed and barrel floated?

c.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My load is 46.5 gr of re 22 and Hornaday 140 gr sp interlocks. The last group measured .582 inches at 100, outside to outside. Take away the .264 and you get .318 inch group. I will take that to the deer woods. Good hunting "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Hubie>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie S:
Hubie
I am a cock on close fan too. I May not have been to clear about modifying the

Oh, ok. Now I understand!

Chris, thanks for the load info.

<Hubie>
posted
Hu
quote:
Originally posted by chris schwartz:
p.s. --

just an afterthought about your swede --

is the action glassed and barrel floated?

c.

Yes, the action is glassed. The bbl is free floated to about 2" from the end, and the mannilicher cap holds the bbl tightly against the pad.

<Exercion>
posted
This thread is right up my alley, as I have been looking to duplicate the original loading of 156gr in my M96 for 100yd match shooting. I have been wondering if the Sierra 155gr Matchkings would work for this application? I have the original barrel so plenty of length and barrel twist. Someone raised the question of stability at 6.5x55 velocities (my reasearch shows the original loads at 2300fps) Has anyone loaded these in this rifle? I currently load 140s, 120s, and have some 85s around here somewhere, but am interested in the heavier bullets.

<chris schwartz>
posted
I loaded up the samples that Sierra sent
me on request with AA3100 in my sporterized
m96 which is trimmed to 23 inches.

Shot right around an inch. Only had 15
bullets, so not much load development :0)
Did it out of curiosity more than anything,
no real purpose for this bullet for me.

I would think it should be no trouble to
work up a load with them in your rifle.
the 7.5 twist is perfect for it.

c.