New
Find
Notify
Tools

.224 Scirocco
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone loaded the .224 Scirocco? I just bought two boxes and saw something on the box when I got home. It says it requires a 1-8 twist? I’m loading them for my Weatherby which has a 1-12 twist (I think).

Does anyone know what is going to happen if I shoot them? Is this just going to effect accuracy or is it going to screw up my gun. I never heard of a bullet manufacture requiring a rifling twist on a bullet before.

Thanks - Ryan

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are fairly long bullets. I doubt a 1:12" will stabilize them. They won't hurt your gun, they just may not hit the target, and if they do, they may hit sideways.

Your Weatherby most likely does have a 1:12" twist, which is pretty standard for 223s and is, I think, what Weatherby puts on 223s. Tikka .223s are 1:8", many ARs feature fast twist barrels (some as fast as 1:6.5"), Savages are mostly 1:9". Those are probably the guns that will stabilize that bullet, and the Savage might not.

Longer bullets require faster twist rates to stabilize them. Most bullets work with most guns so this is something most shooters don't need to consider. In the .224 caliber, 1:14" will work for 50-55 grain max weights, 1:12" to about 60 grains, 1:9" may get you all the way to 77 grains. This is approximate since bullet length is the real factor, but weight is a decent proxy for length. In a given caliber, heavier bullets can't get bigger around so they must get longer.

Only in extreme weight for caliber bullets or in lightly constructed bullets does twist rate become important. As I discussed, unusually long bullets will require a much faster twist rate, but the twist rate can impact lightly constructed bullets as well. Put a bullet built for a 22 Hornet in a 1:9" twist at 3500 fps and it may explode before it gets to the target. Such bullets, ones built for the Hornet specifically and Hornady's super explosive line are two examples, are built very lightly to expand at lighter velocities and can't handle the rpms of the faster twist.

Does this help?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 75gr Scirocco is a fine bullet but you will need a 1x9 twist. The 12 and 14 will not work. I would suggest the 53gr Barnes TSX if you want a tough bullet for the slower twist barrels.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I have been useing the 50grn Barnes Variminators but I was hopeing on useing the Sciroccos on a Javenlina hunt. I guess I'm stuck until I buy a new gun.

Thanks again - Ryan

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Javies are soft and easy to kill, use the varmit bullets.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote