New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darn Hornady dies...work perfect!!!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Seems like alot of bad press lately on hornady dies. I have 4 sets and have always been able to make good ammo with them. (Just loaded 50 .270 wby for a friend and checked runnout on all) These were non neck turned brass and 30 of the 50 came out under .0025 runnout and the remainder were under .004.

Any how just got a .308 blr lightening browning and ordered a bag of 50 win brass and a new set of hornady dies. I used a lyman "m" die to smooth out the necks on the new brass and afterwords found most in the .004-.007 range. I ran them through the new hornady dies and was pretty consistantly getting it down to .003. I did some "fine tuning" by loosening the lock ring on the die and making small adjustments and also loosening the spindle and retightening while the expander ball was located in the case mouth of a piece of brass. I think I tweaked both about 4 times and am now consistantly under .002"with alot at .001-.0015 runnout. I feel that's as good as it gets with factory win brass without neck turning.

I must have got lucky cause they size "like butter" and the expander ball (love that eliptical expander) goes through the case neck as smooth as can be. Can hardly wait to see what runnout is on assembled ammo but am thinking it will be as good as that blr could ever ask for.

Ps--one of the best groups I ever shot was with ammo that had .007 runnout--guess that's what a good barrel is for--but I always try and tweak those dies to the best of their potential.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy Kraky,

Good for you!!! I wish you were here to show me exactly what you did. I tried everything you mentioned, and more, and I just was not successful. NOTE, this was only with one caliber, .30-06. My other Hornady dies make good ammo. I finished my session with an old Pacific neck sizer modified with a neoprene "O" ring under the spindle locking ring...and came out with nearly every round under .002" runout. I consider that pretty darn good. Hope you keep loading successfully, and Good Shooting.

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope kracky , we just can't believe it . Those Hornaday dies can't possibly make straight ammo .

You best take them to town and trade them for $85 worth of John Deere parts .......... [Big Grin]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've used lots of different dies, even duplicates for the same load. I like the hornady dies. They work for me. Lee elcheapo dies will make "hunting" loads, but not usually your best accuracy. RCBS is great, and I love the bushing neck on neck sizers.
however, since my newest beast is a 376 steyr, i BETTER like hornady.. i don't think even ch4d makes them, other than the big H.
jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote