Find
Notify
Tools

Re: shotgun reloading question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted
I believe he`s assuming the same size shot. I have to think though that he`ll never find a change in the wgt of 10 pellet charges........

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I change from lead to copper BBs for crow will I have to change the amount of powder? If I can I will use the same charge bar in my MEC as I do for #7s, which is 1 and 1/8oz and a #34 bushing.

Thanks

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, absolutely not! Steel airgun BB's are very hard. Much harder than the steel shot loaded for waterfowl. Under no circumstances load steel airgun BB's in any shotgun. That shot would most definetely scratch the hell out of your barrel, possibly even blow your gun to many small peices. Along with various parts of you anatomy!

Why not just buy some heavier lead shot for your crow shoot. 6's are what I used for crows. The 6's would work with your current bar/bushing combo.

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your powder charge is predicated on the weight of your shot charge. Same weight of shot, use the same weight of powder.
For a given shot bushing, the thrown weight of a larger size of shot will be less than with a smaller size of shot because the big shot doesn't fill the bushing as efficiently.
You will have to weigh your thrown charges of the larger shot size. If they are light you will have to add shot by hand until they reach the desired weight for the recipe that you are using.
It is a bit of work, but it is simple to do.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The same volume of plated shot will weigh slightly less than unplated, but not enough to make any difference if you use the same shot size.

Jim,
In theory only, the plated shot will weigh less because the copper weighs less than an equal amount of lead.
As mentioned above , the amount of plating is very small.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok here is the deal. I was loading up some some #7 for dove and quail. Now I need some Crow shells. I am wanting to load regular 'ol BB like the ones that go in a BB gun in to my 12ga. Will I have to change the amount of powder that I use or not. What I would like to do is use the same load bar that I have (1 and 1/8oz) it is a MEC reloader.

Thanks

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote