Find
Notify
Tools

Poll :Your favorite primer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted
I just finnished a case of CCI magnums, now starting into a case of Remingtons Magnums. From what I've seen so far, on all my guns, I prefer the CCI's.
I tried some Federals, but I didn't have enugh to form an opinion.
What's your favorite?

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Doc in Texas>
posted
Win. WLR for most of my loading, and WMLR for the big boys.

Doc in Texas

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
I use fed 210 and fed 215,for all my reloading.Remington small 6 1/2 for my 6BR.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I let my rifles decide whether they prefer WW, CCI or Fed, be it in std. or magnum version. E.g., my 2 .300 Win Mag rifles love a same petload, but each with a different primer .

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
Federal GM's

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
WLR's and F210M's for large rifle standards; F215's and R9-1/2M's for magnums

CCI 400's and BR4's, F205 and 205M's for small rifle

WSP and WLP for pistols

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
No real "favorite", since the load and rifle decide. However, 75% of loads over a wide range of cartridges end up with Federals. Of those, 210M's and 205M's prevail. Second most useful are Winchester, mostly WLR's, and the Remington 9 1/2's in a few large, fat cases. No success ever with CCI's in rifles, but they are by far the best for my handguns.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
WMLR for everything, including 257 R. CCI BR for 223, 222. I've tried just about all of them, might have gone about it the wrong way, but I keep coming back to WW. methodology, build best loads with WW, then try other primers +-.1, till +-1gr.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I once had some magnum primers (SACMAG) sold by Sullivan Arms Co., but I don't know who made them. Those (long gone!!), and Federals, have given me my most accurate ammo!! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
1. Federal GM
2. Federal GM
3. Federal GM

In that order. I just wish Federal would make a primer for the .50 BMG then I would never have to use anything other than Federals.

[ 09-24-2002, 19:51: Message edited by: Big Bore ]

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Loren>
posted
Jeffeosso - that methodology definately gives you a bias towards the first primer. Some folks have posted comparisons of load veolicty and pressures variation with only a primer change - you'd be very surprised. Just a primer change can put you well over max pressures sometimes.

I don't personally have a favorite. I usually use the same as in the book I'm loading from (WLR seems to show up most in the data I have).

I don't shoot well enough or often enough to see that much difference.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

Basically I use whichever primer the rifle likes. I've had good luck with both CCI and Federal BR primers in .257, .22-250, and .280. I have had good luck with CCI regular primers in .270, and .30-06. I use WMR in .340 Wthby and in cold weather loads.

Isn't this kind of thing what our hobby is about... EXPERIMENTATION!!!

Coach

Posts: 114 | Location: near Abilene, Texas | Registered: 04 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
So far Federal leads by a wide margin, followed by Winchester.
I realize that some rifles like some primers, but, so far at least, there seems to be a general trend.
(so far Remington sucks)

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. About 25 years ago, Remington was the only primer that benchresters would use. At that time I think they used a two-legged anvil. So much for fashion. Does anyone still make a two-legged anvil primer?

RWS was also regarded as a "premium" primer. I still have a good supply of RWS acquired many years ago, and they are in every measurable way good primers.

I can't say that I've found much difference in primer performance, overall.

It's been many years since I used Federal (simply because other primers have been more available to me), but I do recall that Federals seated harder than other brands (at least the 215's did), presumably because of slightly larger diameter. At that time, they were regarded as the "go to" primer for brass that was passed its "prime" and had slightly enlarged pockets. Don't have any idea if this is still true.

I'm amazed how cheap and good primers are in general.

[ 09-24-2002, 20:42: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My best rifle accuracy has usually been acheived with one of the Federal Primers, be it BR, Std. or Magnum. Both Winchester and CCI have given great results in my handguns.

[ 09-24-2002, 20:43: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WLR's for std and magnums - using CCI 250 in 338 didn't do a thing.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried a few experiments over the years with varying primers to see what effect it has on loads in at least three or four rifle calibers and three revolver calibers. Used Federal, Winchester, CCI and Remington.

Mostly I never saw that much to get "statistically significantly" excited about. You'd get some variation in standard deviation and sometimes some difference in group sizes, but go out the next week and try it again and results might favor a different primer.

FWIW I just like Federals, call it an irrational feeling coupled with never getting "bad" results. I have a large supply, 8,000 to maybe 12,000 at last glance of CCI's across the spectrum and less of Winchesters in Small Rifle size. I use the CCI's for "mass reload" practice ammo and will slowly use up the last three thousand Winchesters in my .223 but nowadays I work up all my centerfire loads with plain old Federal 210's for everything from the .243, .308, .270 even with RL-22, .30-06 and even the .375 H&H. The .45 Colt and .41 Magnums get Federal 150's. I reserve the Federal 215's for my .300 Win Mag and large doses of RL-22 and am so far undecided on 215's or 210's for the .338 Win. Mag.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exclusivly Federal primers in my old age!!

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess some guys might see a difference in results due to primers but I have to wonder how significant it really is or if some guys lay off a good day of excellent shooting technique to equipment changes? (Am I the only one who has good days and bad days at the range?) [Smile]
I've always used CCI 200 and 250 primers for my larger rifles and Remington 7 1/2 benchrest for my .17 rem without any experimenting and I've always been able to work up acceptable loads for all my rifles. Nothing I own shoots much over an inch, some substantially under, and that mostly by just playing with powders and seating depths.
IMO, case selection, flash hole deburring, proper trimming, and good loading technique will outweigh primer selection any day. However, if you feel certain primers do a better job than others you should probably stick with them. Personally, I've never seen anything to prove one way or the other if it is hype or the differences are real. Your milage may vary.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
CCI 400 for .223
Fed. 210 for standard cartridges
Fed. 215 for magnums

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
After trying some of all the primers and getting very confused with all the variables between the primers, powder, bullets, brass, I decided to use only Federal primers and remove that variable. I use only 210M and 215M, and am far more accurate on all my loads than when I used several different kinds. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
win for standard loads. 215 br for all my mags!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
I let my rifles decide what primer it likes I use winchester,federal,and CCI standard and BR
only my gun knows