New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-284 Win to 6.5-284 Norma
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can you ream a 6.5-284 winchester bore to accept the 6.5-284 Norma brass?

Posts: 39 | Location: Austin Texas | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5 is 6.5 no reaming involved.
the round is the 284 win case necked down.
the only reason the norma brass don't fit is if the chamber is cut for thinner brass.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lamar

I appreciate. The reason I thought reaming may be necessary is because of the difference in AOL. And I thought it might be possible to ream chamber to fit Norma specs.

Posts: 39 | Location: Austin Texas | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
the difference in AOL

Confused I show the case lengths at 2.17.
What numbers are you seeing as different?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
the difference in AOL

Confused I show the case lengths at 2.17.
What numbers are you seeing as different?

There is a slight difference in headspace between the two.
http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd65284norma.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd65x284winchester.jpg

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because the 6.5x284 is a wildcat there are no "set" dimensions for the round. Personally I would do a chamber cast and measure to compare to the dimensions of the 6.5x284 Norma reamer you plan on using. That way there will be no surprises on what should be a simple job.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because the 6.5x284 is a wildcat there are no "set" dimensions for the round. Personally I would do a chamber cast and measure to compare to the dimensions of the 6.5x284 Norma reamer you plan on using.

Probably a good idea. If in fact the Norma has just a touch longer headspace than the wildcat then a norma reamer should take care of the headspace and throat.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kanga69:
Can you ream a 6.5-284 winchester bore to accept the 6.5-284 Norma brass?

There is a difference cost me a about $400 to figure it out! Dies are slightly different, and reamers,rechambered
a 6.5 X 284 Winchester to 6.5 X 284 Norma. And had barrel turned down in contour, did not shoot well after!

So had a new douglas barrel that shoots well, chambered for 6.5 X 284 Lapua for Lapua brass. I use a Redding small
base body die to resize Winchester 284 brass necked to 6.5 to fit the Lapua chamber. Been a expensive learning experience!

kk alaska

one of us
posted Hide Post
There IS a difference. I went with the Winchester version since I did not want to buy expensive brass. The main dofference is cartridge OAL, with the Norma being longer, but I would just have a smith ream the throat longer if your action will accommodate the longer round.

Someone referenced Steve's Pages above. His 6.5-284 Winchester drawing is wrong. It says the length to the shoulder is 1.571 when it is really 1.775 like the parent case. There is NOT a .2" difference in headspace as his drawings show.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve's pages are not industry maintained standards for cartridge drawings. You need official drawings and documents from the organization that standardized the round.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote