THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Which magnum large rifle primer has the most g

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which magnum large rifle primer has the most g
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
You know, looking at several peoples test data seems to show either the Fed or Win winning on a given day. To me it doesn't really matter much as I haven't had any problems using the WLRM and accuracy has been more than acceptable. When it comes down to it, if your getting good velocity for the bullet you've chosen and accuracy to go with it does it matter?

I think I trust the test results Saeed has as it is ditrectly measured in relation to velocity and accuracy, the two factors that are most important. The size of a "fireball", or blast of the primer by itself doen't mean much to me. Which one works the best will also be subjective to batches (lot) s , just like powders.

I've seen the WLRM on top a few places so Thats what I bought in large quantity, when their gone I might try the Fed's, who knows?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well thank you all for replying, espeacially Saeed and Dutch for the links and again Saeed for doing the test and a great web site.

Guess I will try the WLRM's at some stage.
Hope one day Fed decide to make the 216 available.

Posts: 787 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one big difference I have noticed in my recent loadings has been the difference in the ease/difficulty of seating the primers in the primer pockets. In my .270WSM brass, the WLR and WLRM primers seat so easily I am almost afraid they will fall out. The Federals seem to fit better and require more force to fully seat. But in my 6.5x55, the Federals are almost impossible to fully seat, while the WLR fits just fine. Interestingly enough, the brass is winchester in both calibers. Easy solution, use the WLR in the 6.5x55 and Federal in the .270WSM. I just don't remember such a big difference in my old reloading days, say 10 years ago. But back then I used CCI almost exclusively, so maybe I just never noticed.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
2ndtimer, this link explains the "why" of your experience: not all primers measure exactly the same. HTH, Dutch.

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.html

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
The Nosler manual describes how the Federal 215 was developed for the 378 Weatherby..I believe it is Nosler #4

Since then, I've heard from a few sources that the WLRM primer is the hottest, with Fed 215M on it's heels...

Me? I don't care. I use Fed 215M in my big rifles, and Fed210 in my "standard" rifles..I just keep it simple, as I found that mucking around wiht primers got really tedious a few years ago...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse ----- I use Fed 215M exclusively for my Magnum rifles. I also use Fed 210M for my non Magnum rifles. Like you I decided several years ago to take the different primer variable out of my reloading, mainly because I usually got best results from the Federal Primers. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had misfires with the CCI Mag in my 300 Wby apparently because the Lee primer seater didn't seat them firmly. When I seat them in the press they work fine.
The accuracy and POI are the same as with the F215.
POI with non-mag primers is about 2" lower at 100 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago CCI upgraded their 250 primer (the same time they went to individual primer spaces in the packaging?). When they did this they said in magazine interviews that it was as powerful as (more powerful than?) the Federal 215 primer.

It seems to me that a while back there was a thread in which a few people reported that their CCI primers would not go off. Mine go bang every time, so I have never tried anything else.

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've had just the opposite, misfires with primers seated with the ram in my Lyman press (with which it's easy to accidentally crush them), but never a misfire using the Lee hand primer.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote