New
Find
Notify
Tools

8x57 and heavy bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have come across a slight problem and I am thinking that a heavier bullet may cure most of it. I am reloading my 8x57 with 180gr Nos BT's and at 75yds I can not get my sights low enough to hit at POA. It was amazing to see how much higher my reloads were hitting than the factory stuff. So, I am thinking that a heavier bullet would help this out. I am going to start with some 220gr stuff and have plenty of resources to get the data for that weight bullet. What about 250gr bullets. Does anyone have a good starting point with that weight bullet using IMR4895? Am I going at this all wrong? Any info would be great.

thanks, Matt.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
What kind of rifle and sights are you shooting?

Lots of military Mausers are set up with a minimum range of 100 meters, and they weren't set up to use the "point of aim" (i.e., tip of the front sight blade) as the impact point, but to use a 6:00 o'clock hold with the target fully visible on top of the sight.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At that range, heavy loads might also hit higher. I'm working with a model 1917 30-06, with peep sights. I had no trouble sighting in with 150's, but I couldn't lower the rear sight enough for 180's. It hits fine with a 6:00 hold, but I haven't decided if I feel comfortable with that on a hunting rifle.

Also try the reduced loads. I used a moderate Blue Dot load and the 400 meter setting to get my Yugo 24-47 to hit at 50.

You can also get taller front sights to bring down your impact point.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
You can also get taller front sights to bring down your impact point.

thumbDitto roger thumb

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a sporterized Mauser with a Redfield peep sight at the rear of the action. I am using the 6:00 hold right now and still have a bullet impact 6" higher than the 2" target I am aiming at. I was hoping to get away without changing the front post. The dove tail doesn't look like your average Marlin or Winchester dove tail. It is much smaller than that.
How about a starting point for the 250gr bullet? Even if I end up changing the post, I am still interested in a heavy bullet.

Thanks for the input, Matt.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

There are 220g loads for H4895 and Varget. I have not tried them.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8x57 250 gr from barnes manual
h4895 37.0-2021, 40.0-2204fps

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gu3:
The rifle is a sporterized Mauser with a Redfield peep sight at the rear of the action. I am using the 6:00 hold right now and still have a bullet impact 6" higher than the 2" target I am aiming at. I was hoping to get away without changing the front post. The dove tail doesn't look like your average Marlin or Winchester dove tail. It is much smaller than that.
How about a starting point for the 250gr bullet? Even if I end up changing the post, I am still interested in a heavy bullet.

Thanks for the input, Matt.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...ER+FRONT+SIGHT+BLANK

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Going lighter on the bullet will solve the problem. You need to reduce barrel time without increasing momentum. Going to a heavier bullet or driving the same heavy bullet faster will not work. This can only be done with a lighter bullet going faster. This is not a step down in performance if a mono bullet is used.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brownells sells a Mauser front sight that has
plenty of metal to work down. It fit my Turk 98.
I think the Turk was sighted for the hot 196 grs.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote