THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there one load which is considered (6.5/284)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
To the the universal accuracy oriented basic load?

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope someone post it because I will be starting to load for one soon.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
There are two major camps in 6.5x284 reloading for the 142 grain SMKs, the H4350 guys and the 4831SC guys.

Everyone's gun is different but the consensus in the H4350 camp seems to be that the maximum load of 46 grains recommended by Hodgdon for the 142 grain SMK is the starting point for load development.

Early in the wildcatting of the 6.5x284 many people were shooting 50+ grains of H4350 with the 142 SMKs. But, I think that almost everyone now recognizes that load is way too hot.

In my gun:
Using 49 grains of H4350 using the 142 grain SMK seated .007 off the lands, brand new Lapua brass only lasted for three shots before the primer pockets were to loose to reload again.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
fjold,
With the 49 grains, how fast is that load?

I noticed most don't run much more than 3000 fps with that round, many a little below. But, you sound different from most.

Thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: Irvine, CA. | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Fjold,et al; Thanks for the responses. I heartily agree that the rifle will tell me exactly what it likes, and I am basically fishii=ng in a stocked pond with the usual answers of H4350 and H 4831 SC. There is a reason these powders have proven themselves I am sure.

My initial loads were with RL 19, Imr 4831, and H 4831 SC. Yes the h 4831 SC posted the best general results, but IMR was very close and RL 19 was by far the fastest, yielding 100 ft/secs more for apparently equal pressures.

My rifle is a custom Rock Creek 5R melonite barreled Rem 40X single shot action and Jewell trigger, and it is shooting very close to 1/2 MOA at 200 yards with either the 140 Hornady BTHP (AMP jackets) or the Sierra 142 MK. In Hornady brass which proved to be too thick in the neck on the first go, so I turned about .003" off the fired cases. A bullet would not enter into any of the fired cases prompting that approach.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlostrander:
fjold,
With the 49 grains, how fast is that load?

I noticed most don't run much more than 3000 fps with that round, many a little below. But, you sound different from most.

Thanks

The 49 grain load was well above 3000 fps and is to hot. I'm actually loading 46 grains of H4350 for 2870 fps out of my 26" barrel and brass is lasting me over a dozen reloads.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote