New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 Die Problem
 Login/Join

<JLB_MI>
posted
Got a new BLR in 358. Went to reload some rounds yesterday and was not able to get the bullets to seat. I tried 250 Speers and 225 Sierras. When I cycled the first round into the rifle to check for length the bullet stuck in the chamber and I had powder EVERYWHERE. Inspection indicated that the die is not crimping the round. I have moved the die down but it does not seem to crimp the bullet, I can move the bullet in and out of the case. Any suggestions? Is the die defective it is a new RCBS. Should I buy a crimp die? HELP!

<Savage 99>
posted
Call RCBS today on their 800 #. No you don't need a crimping die. You have one however in your seating die.

Also read the instructions before you call.

Did you size the fired cases before you loaded them? Were the bullets tight in the necks when you seated them? Did you seat the bullets out too far so that they stuck in the barrel?

<JLB_MI>
posted
Savage 99,

Thanks for the reply. I did not seat the bullet too long according to my COL measurements. What I surmise happened was that when I loaded the round into the chamber that the inertia of the round moving forward slipped the thing into the bore and lodged it there. I then did another round and found that I could slide the bullet in and out of the case. That is what alerted me to the seating problem. I loaded new Winchester brass that was run through my sizing die. The seating die was set according to RCBS instructions (just like for the 20 something other cartridges that I load for). I have never had a die that would not seat a bullet without some adjustment.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Either the die is reamed too wide in the neck, or the expander ball is too large. You need two measurements before you call: the size of the expander ball, and the size of a case neck that you run into the die all the way, with the expander ball assembly removed.

It also would help if you had the measurements of a factory (empty or loaded) case neck, and that of the neck of a fired case. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta tell you, I'm not sure about that inertia thing causing the bullet to come out...The max oal for a 358 will be different for each bullet. Both bullets that you mention might be seating into the lands ahead of the throat because of the radius of the ogive, even though it is "shorter" than the cartridges max OAL. I would very carefully load a round into the chamber and carefully close the action to ensure that the bullet can't gain any momentum. Then eject the round and see what shakes...and just for the record, I do load for a 358 win BLR myself.

Good luck.

graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Measure a sized case necks OD and call RCBS.

What brass are you using?

If they can't help get back to me here on this topic. I have a new RCBS FL die in that caliber as well as a Lee one. Each one makes necks that hold bullets very tight. I will measure stuff up for you but RCBS is prepared to fix it as well.

They are nice. Call them.

<JLB_MI>
posted
Savage 99, Thanks for the help, I called them and am sending the dies in for them to check out. Looks to me like it is the seater that is at fault. I am using new Winchester brass.
Graycg, I tested the inertia thing with a bullet pushed as far down as possible, measured COL of 2.63 and loaded and worked the action. It, too, caught into the lands and I pulled out another empty case, because I had it pointed upwards there was minimal powder spillage. The bullets are free moving in the case. There is minimal neck pressure on the bullet. A slight tap will get the bullet to move freely.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your problem as stated previously is in your size die. Either not enough sizing or too much expander ball which results in inadequate neck tension. Proper neck tension(about .002-.003") obviates the need for crimping the .358.

Just my opinion based on experience, But I think RCBS has good customer relations because they get a lot of practice. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote