Find
Notify
Tools

.357 mag and .38super
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sgt. mac
posted
I have done some rifle loading (.338 win mag) and I am looking into loading for my 357 and 38super. Any pointers on powder/primer? I just started researching into pistol loading so any help is appreciated. Thnak You.

sometimes people just have to learn the hard way

Posts: 29 | Location: montana | Registered: 31 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What "level" loads are you looking to make?

practice/plinking ammo?

Or are you looking to make full power self-defence or hunting loads?

Because that determines what bullet weight and thus what propellant to use.

For the 38Super there isn't that much "wiggle room" and still have the pistol function reliably, but the propellants that have historically worked the best with 115gr, 125gr and 130gr projectiles have been SR4756, Unique & Herco

For the 357? you can make "light" 38spl or 38spl+P level loads with Unique or full power loads with H110 or 2400.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sgt. mac
posted Hide Post
I am looking at doing full loads for the Mag, the 38super I am looking at lighter loads due to gun not liking +p loads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like any 1911, I suppose you could do anything you wanted with imagination and money. With the 357 magnum I believe you would be well served with the 158 grain bullet, be it lead or jacketed. I wouldn't be without a 4" or 6" S&W 357 magnum, unless I was in the shower Big Grin

For moderate loads you will be in good company with Unique. 2400 and W-W 296 will do all that is necessary for top notch hunting loads. A little practice with crimping (moderate crimp with moderate loads & heavy crimp with top loads) will afford you maximum case life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to load a pile of 38 super. I think the best overall powder for the 115 - 124 grain weight projectiles is AA7. For heavier bullets I liked AA9. Blue Dot is good for full throttle loads. I also shot a bunch of HS-6 for practice loads. I think it is the best pistol cartridge ever made.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a good amount (8lbs) of Clays - plain old Clays, not Universal or International - - that I use for loading 12 Ga shotshells. Is this powder useable in the 357/38? (I have a Ruger revolver, just used for target practice/plinking)

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does your Super have a ramped barrel? If not ... use only loading data for the standard Super and don't try to go too hot.

I like Remington +P brass as it is very strong and lasts well.

Most of my loading has been on the hotter side where AA #7 and VV 3n37 are very, very good. Lighter loading can be accomplished with both as well as WSF.

Have used FMJs in 115, 124, and 135s. Have used 147 JHPs and 125, 140, 145, and 150 cast ... they all work.

Supers can be built to headspace on the rim or on the mouth (Nonte reamer). I use the latter.

I recommend using a taper crimp and measuring the diameter of the mouth of the finished round when you have achieved one that works for you.

OAL will depend on your magazines which is a function of the kind of pistol you have. I use primarily 1911 single and double stack frames and 1.260-1.265" works for me. Projectile nose shape will have an impact on the length that works for you.

The Super can be heavily hot rodded ... don't do it unless your pistol is built very strongly! (Ramped barrel, etc) "Super Face" would be NO fun!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MS said it all on the 38Super, except I use VV N350 for my IPSC major loads. Again, I have a "supported chamber". Ramped barrel is probably a better term. I also use 130 grain FMJ bullets. On the 357, you don't say what gun you have. A 686 can take just about anything, whereas I would be a little more careful with a Python.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sgt. mac
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feed back, this gives me a good place to start.