New
Find
Notify
Tools

lee powder measure kit!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have one of the old lee powder measure kits, the kind that has all the different size dipping cups. Has anyone out there used this kit before ? and did you find it accurate? This kit has a slide rule type system that tells you which cup to use for the different types of powder.

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greg p:
I have one of the old lee powder measure kits, the kind that has all the different size dipping cups. Has anyone out there used this kit before ? and did you find it accurate? This kit has a slide rule type system that tells you which cup to use for the different types of powder.

And do you intend to load by volume without the reference of a scale?

The kit may (will) be close enough so starting loads will be ok. I would expect the IMR powders to be ok.

I know that AA #2I is way off. I sent an email to lee and got an answer back that AA has two types #2 and lee chose to use the old version (which was denser) so that the user won't get an over charge.

An under charge isn't good either!

All that said, I have heard they are ok after you have checked them for the right weight.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
greg p,

I have had one of those kits for dozens of years…I use it quite a bit. I mostly use it to develop loads. I get the scoop that is near the charge I want and then trickle the rest onto the scales. Notice, I still use scales to verify the weight of the powder.

The scoops take a bit of practice to get a consistent amount of powder each time ones scoops!! If I get a powder/scoop that I am extremely comfortable with, I will use it without scales. These are always starting loads and an extra grain of powder wouldn’t matter…at least with the loads I am using.

I purchased mine from a “junk bin” at a gun store many, many years ago for less than $3 if I remember correctly! I have used it extensively and wouldn’t want to be without it for certain applications. Good-luck…BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I use it to get the load close, on my scale. Sometimes using two sizes to aproximate the load, then the trickler to get it bang on. I think my kit is MEC, but is identical to the Lee.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple sets of the Lee powder measure scoops and really like them for the type of loading I do. There is an older "red" set and a newer "yellow" set of scoops that are a little different in size. Between the two different sets you can come pretty close to any desired powder charge. I still weigh every charge on a scale, but the scoops when handled consistantly(as mentioned above) will put enough in the pan to where only a slight trickle is neccessay. They make a nice "check" to make sure you scale is set correctly also, if the indicated scoop does not swing the scale beam in the neighborhood of what you wanted, it is time to check something. If I'm going to load 50 or more cartridges I'll set up a drop powder measure, for lees than 50 I use the scoops. The scoops are a lot faster especially if doing 10's and 20's for load development. my humbe opinion FWIW
Mike

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys. My set is the older,red kit. It is in the original box with all papers and scoops. I just read the box and it says 1966 on the side. I will be using a scale also but thought if where loading a light load for my .44 mag i could load much faster with a scoop of powder,mabey.

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee dippers with a RCBS auto dispenser. Rather than waiting for the thrower to trickle out large loads (80gr+), I use a dipper to accelerate the process. I am not sure that I would trust one to throw consistent charge weights as they were intended, but they can be useful.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Hunter333>
posted
I got one with my Lee dies and never figured out what the number means. I simply use it as a scooper in order to put the powder in the scale pan. I am not in a hurry when reloading so the time that it takes to tap a piece or 2 at a time is not an issue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the black and red boxed black spoon set. It is a real time saver to get within a grain for hte trickling.

It is also great for dont-really-care plinking loads such as for red dot plinkers in larger calibers.

The weights tend to be within a grain or so, but not close enough for my use in developing regulating loads for double rifles.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them quite a lot, mostly for what you mentioned, lower end loads for handgun cartridges. Seem to work just fine in that application.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right On!

Nothing to differ with and not much to add. The Lee dippers throw extremely uniform charges when you dip through once and strike off the surplus with a straight edge. Generally, you have to pour powder into a cup for this.

I use Lee dippers for small batches that aren't worth setting a powder measure for. This works really well for the odd military rifles I am fond of. I'm not going anywhere near top loads for them and I am not likely to be using the real slow powders that can get you in trouble with too light charges.

Same thing goes for cast bullets. I can use three or four dippers to load five cartridges each across the likely accuracy range of a given powder. If one loading is clearly superior, I can either stick with that dipper, weigh to find out exactly was thrown to load a bigger batch, or try to fine tune in smaller increments than the dippers allow.

I probably only use dippers half a dozen times a year, but I would not be without a set. When you need them, you need them.

[ 01-20-2003, 09:38: Message edited by: Leftoverdj ]

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on checking the dip against the scales. The sliding guide card is rough estimate, and I mean rough, for some of the powders.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote