Find
Notify
Tools

8MM bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all

Are the new bullets by Nosler, et al, for the 8mm bore size good for hunting in the faster velocities? I remember years ago when the 8mm rem. came out the biggest problem was good bullets and was wondering if this had been corrected?

Thanks

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler Partition tends to work well through a range of velocities, and I would assume the same is true of the 8mm/200gr. At any rate, I'm about to find out. I've just ordered a batch which I am loading for my hunting companion's 8mm Reminton Magnum for a cow elk hunt in January. I'll report his results then.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will have no problem finding controlled expansion bullets in 8mm.
Partitions, A-Frames, Barnes-x, DK from RWS, CDP from Blaser, ABC from Hirtemberguer, SF from MEN, etc. will all hold up very well no matter at what speed you shoot them.
The 180 gr Balistic Tip has the rear part of the shank extremely reinforced and also hold up veru well, even a7 8x68 velocities.
regards,
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The major problem with the 8mm Mag when it was introduced, was that there were no magnum-speed bullets available for reloaders. All the 8mm bullets available at that time were suited for the muzzle velocities which the 8mm Mauser and the 8mm-06 yielded - and were not suited for the much higher velocities the 8mm Mag produced. Terminal performance was simply terrible for bullets that performed great when launched from a 8mm Mauser, 8mm-06, etc...

That has been alleviated somewhat, as noted above, but the caliber still lags far behind the .308 and .338 calibers in numbers of bullets offered which are constructed specifically for terminal performance at magnum velocities. Yet, many of those offerings are quite $$$. Speer, Hornady, and Sierra have yet to follow suit in producing a variety of the heavier 8mm bullets (225-275 gr, IMHO) that would make the 8mm mag bullet offerings a serious contender against the 338 mag bullet offerings.

However, unless an 8mm WSM should be introduced and sell like hotcakes, those bullet manufacturers aren't going to invest heavily in producing those kinds of bullets - they're making their dough on the .308 and .338 calibers, and that's what puts the squeeze on the 8mm Mag - a cartridge that'd handle just about anything North America could offer in game (save possibly the biggest of the great northern bears).

TXLoader

[ 12-05-2002, 21:15: Message edited by: TXLoader ]

Posts: 115 | Location: Bryan, TX, USA | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
your never going to see a great selection of 8mm bullets in the US, it's not a popular round as we have the 06 and .308....

I like the 8x57 and have a nice m-22F Brno rifle and I shoot 200 gr. Noslers, 185 gr. cork lokts, and 200 gr. Speers in it. But my favorite bullet is the 160 gr. GS HV bullet....It will break both shoulders of an elk and leave and exit hole about 1.5" , and lots of blood.......

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It took me a second to figure out what a GS HV bullet is.
http://gunlinks.zibycom.com/members/002245268/Site2/02hv.html

Someone sent me some of the 257 for my 257RAI, but I haven't shot them yet.
I was cuationed that I need to increase the loads for those bullets.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote