New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone load solids for a 416 rem Mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone here load solids for their 416 Rem Mag and if so what do you use?

I have had a problem with my Model 70 trying to load 410gn Woodleigh solids. The cannelure on that particular solid is designed for the rigby and is too far back so I cannot load to the cannelure as the overall length is too long for the magazine (MAX 3.6").

Then I find when chambering a round, it hooks up going into the chamber on the case mouth. I have tried using a Lee crimp die to round the edge of the case mouth off and it works on some but not all. The tolerences in the chamber must be very tight.

I have no such problem with the 400gn Woodleigh softs which are made specifically for the 416 RM and have the cannelure in the correct place.

Just curious as to see what other 416 RM users have found and what bullets you use.

I am getting a gunsmith to cut a second cannelure in the correct place as a short term fix.

Posts: 789 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some Hornady 410 grain Solids a few years ago. They had the cannelure located for a Rigby also.

I just ignored the groove and loaded them to 3.590" and they shot great. Never moved either, even if left in the bottom of the mag for several shots.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McCray

Was that rifle a model 70?

one of us
posted Hide Post
MLG ----- I used the 370 grain North Fork bullets, both softs and solids. Both worked too perfection. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phurley

Unfortunately we cannot get North Folk downunder - no agents at all for them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops... yep, Model 70 Safari Classic.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with my pre 64 70 in 375. I tried Woodleighs and Barnes solids. They were hanging up in the magazine. The magazine is right at the OAL spec for that cartridge.

Tried seating deeper and crimping, but they were getting set back under recoil. Ended up using the new Hornady Solids as their crimping groove was a bit higher on the bullet.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MLG ----- When I started loading Solids with my .416 Rem in Model 70 Safari Classic, they were seated very deep compared to the softs. The shape was completely different, thus the seater die set them much deeper in the case. My POI was also 6 inchs higher, this I couldn't live with. I solved the problem by using my .416 Rigby seating die instead (I didn't want to change my .416 Rem seater die because I had it set for the softs) and when I seated the solids to where they would fit the magazine the POI was withing one inch of where the softs printed, and this I could live with. They served me well in the Selous on Buffalo. You can also crimp without the cannelure, so don't worry about it at all. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote