New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load Testing Questions ...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm gearing up for a couple of long days at the range to "find my load".

New 700 VLS-SA in .22-250

I'm seriously wondering ...

1.) Where to start with my powder charge weight -

2.) How large of a step between each -

3.) How many to load at each charge weight -

As to #1 ... I've read 10% off max. i.e. listed max is 40.0 grains ... start at 36.0

(Is this appropriate with strong, modern firearms using very common powder in a very common round?)

As to #2 ... Should I go with 1/2 grain jumps? i.e. 36.0 - 36.5 - 37.0 - 37.5 etc.

(Are any one grain jumps too "pressure risky?")

As to #3 ... is one 3 shot group at each charge weight enough to determine whether something deserves further testing?

(Seems to me that it isn't. I'm thinking 2 - 3 shot groups.)

So ... 10% w/.5 grain jumps and 2 - 3 shot groups is 54 rounds.

Your thoughts - comments?

TIA

Mike TBC

[ 07-31-2003, 03:40: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I start at the accuracy load in the nosler manual.

I work up by 1/2gr initially.

I shoot at least 5 of that recipe...so if I see a pulled shot at the trigger break,...I discount that shot as operator error.

use the same bullet and the same depth the whole time,..so powder is the only variable changed in each load.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what JustC said. I'd also recommend the use of a chronograph if you can get your hands on one.
Stop at the slightest hint of pressure(primer cratering, sticky blot lift) Any sign of trouble with a high pressure round like the .22-250, means you are already well past maximum for the combination you are using.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Do a little research on the ladder method. I’ll try to explain but I'm hardly an expert. It’s working for me now.
Load up a series of rounds with the primers, brass, and bullets all as constants. Then vary the powder charge in 0.3-grain increments from minimum to maximum following your reloading manual. Shoot each round at a common target at 300 yards. Note each shot’s place on the target. As the power is increased there should be a progression up the ladder as each shot is fired. Watch carefully for signs of over pressure, each riffle is different. There will be a range of progressive shots that end up on a nearly horizontal line. This is how I find the powder range that this riffle likes best. I use the middle load of those three then load up another batch with progressively longer overall length. Three rounds at each length. I use a factory load for the shortest and increase length 0.005” at a time until I reach the lands or the magazine limit. (Actually it’s easier to load from longest to shortest.) I shoot each set at it’s own target at 100 yards. Then the best group is my load for this bullet /powder combination. Some times I get excellent results and have a good load worked up. Sometimes I start over with a different powder.

Yes, [Big Grin] it takes me two trips to the range to work up a load.

My least enjoyed part of this test is marking each shot at the 300-yard range. When I have the range to myself I let #2 son get some driving practice. Maybe a good spotting scope will work.

There are plenty of different ways to do anything. My way is absolutely positively the best for me. Unless I hear of a better way that I want to try.
[Big Grin]
Gene

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gene,

Very good suggestion.

Precision Shooting magazine (IBS) detailed this method and referred to it as the "incremental method" in their article.

I can only say that I have shot several thousand rounds shooting groups for nothing and very much wish I had learned of this method sooner. So much wasted time, money and throats trying to do it the old way.

Last load I worked up, I shot two series of ten rounds in increments. I selected a load from that and loaded a small batch. Groups from that batch were as good as any fired with that combination. [Big Grin]

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
You have a good handle on it. Start with the min suggested load using the powder that produces the most velocity. Use 1/2 gr increments for that cartridge and load two shots per charge.

You can vary the seating depths later.

I write the load on the case with a marking pen. It makes a careful examination of the case informative later as I look for pressure signs.

The late Creighon Audette developed the Ladder Technique and it's worth knowing. As of late Dan Newbury has a website on his method that he calls OCW.

When your testing loads try to keep the rifle the same. This means the way you clean it, the stock screw tensions etc and even the way that you hold and rest it.

[ 07-31-2003, 19:29: Message edited by: Savage 99 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once you're on target, you might want to move back to 200 yards. If your 22-250 is a shooter, you may end up with 1 big raggedety hole at 100 yards. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gene,

The Ladder is interesting.

I wonder what is happening that (Ballistically - internally and externally) produces the sudden horizontal string that signifies nirvana is near? [Smile]

I'll assume that the bullet stops its velocity-induced climb vertically and levels off, saying "that's fast enough" - [Big Grin]

Mike

[ 07-31-2003, 21:10: Message edited by: The Birth Controller ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
...just a history on the so-called "ladder method".
The developer of this method is unknown, but it was shared with Creighton Audette by his benchrest shooting friend in California and was called "The 20 shot Method" by Audette.

This method is most commonly known today as the "Audette Method". You may also see it called "Incremental Load Development" as it was recapped and renamed by Constantine Randolph in Precision Shooting Magazine.

The gist of this method is recapped in part above. 20 rounds are loaded each stepping up by a fixed amount in the powder charge. ie. 40.3, 40.6, 40.9, 41.2, 41.5 etc. Each round is then fired from lowest to highest and the impact of each on the target at 300 yards is plotted (Audette said that benchrest friends used 100yards with success as well). The rounds should climb in impact as the charge increases. But there will come a point where the rounds will cease climbing and start clustering. The optimal load is in the center of the range where the rounds do this.

Posts: 192 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Birth Controller:
. . .I wonder what is happening that (Ballistically - internally and externally) produces the sudden horizontal string that signifies nirvana is near? . . .

The reason is said to be a result of barrel harmonics and their effect on the bullet's departure.

The barrel oscillates during the passage of the bullet and pressure wave. While outside of the optimum vibration area, the bullet's departure may occur in various stages of the barrel's oscillation if the velocity is not perfectly consistent. Groups run larger due to random muzzle positions during bullet exit.

Once in the "zone", a small variation in velocity (powder charge weight) results in little difference in the muzzle's relative position at departure. Since the barrel is tolerant to minor variations within it's zone, it is also somewhat tolerant to other small variations. This means that a small variation that might have cost a bullet out of the group is "forgiven". This can be referred to as the "sweet spot", where the bullet exit variations do not significantly affect the impact point.

There are usually two "sweet spots", one at sub-normal velocity, then the second at a more desirable velocity right at, or barely below maximum.

Once your load approaches the sweet spot, your point of impact is less affected by minor powder charge variations, such as those you induce by loading incremental increases. This area can be identified when it shows up on target as different charges hitting at about the same elevation. As in the example given by Gene, 300 yards, it is necessary to move further back when using a flatter shooting cartridge, to be able to differentiate trajectory differences due to powder charge changes.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well explained eshell, thanks.

TBC