Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the older Saeco
 Login/Join

posted
Powder measures and other reloading equipment made by/for them really that good.

The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home.

~James Madison

Posts: 6 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 04 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, they are unsurpassed in quality. I'm still using a SAECO electric lead pot that's older than I am and I'm 64.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
In my experience, they are unsurpassed in quality. I'm still using a SAECO electric lead pot that's older than I am and I'm 64.
Regards, Joe

Yeh, but you're just a kid, Joe. Wait'll you've been loading a while..... animal

I'm not certain they're unsurpassed in quality, but they are plenty good for just about any purpose. For some really fussy uses, though, I'd probably prefer one of the Culver type powder measures....either a Lyman/Culver conversion, a Neil Jones, a Les Bruno, or a Harrell. Use a Jones myself for BR, but have a Saeco, a Lee Precision, a modern Redding, a couple or three Lymans, and a Dedicated Systems electronic dispenser all around here somewhere.
The Dedicated Systems is by far the most accurate of mine, but it sure isn't real handy to set up and warm up.

That's pretty good life you report for a melting pot. I used one Lyman pot from about 1962 through 1996. Finally sold it at a gun show because RCBS gave me one of their hi-buck ones when I was doing some cast bullet articles.

In turn I sold the RCBS to a cast bullet shooter who was one of the best shooters and match tacticians I've ever seen, heard about, or read about (the late Larry Jennings, Springield, Oregon, by way of Alaska). He needed a new one. Ever since, I've been using a Magma 60-pound pot (60-pound capacity, that is).

But, yeh, the old Santa Anita Engineering Company production (SAECO) is dang good stuff. tu2

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
RCBS gave me one of their hi-buck ones when I was doing some cast bullet articles.

And THAT is the (very effective) marketing ploy RCBS has been using since the 50s to get their products mentioned and pictured in magazine articles.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:
RCBS gave me one of their hi-buck ones when I was doing some cast bullet articles.

And THAT is the (very effective) marketing ploy RCBS has been using since the 50s to get their products mentioned and pictured in magazine articles.

Actually, that is incorrect. The pot was given to me by the late Jay Postman, who at that time was their customer service rep, and who had veen a close friend of mine since I was in college. Stanford, in Palo Alto CA, was just a few miles from MicroSight in Belmont CA, and Jay was then working at Microsight as an "order picker" (We were both quite young then).

Anyway, when I got my RCBS lead pot Jay mentioned they had some they wouldn't sell because they were "blems" and offered me one because they were going to be chucked.

So, I said "WTH, sure..."

I used to know Fred Huntington personally (not well, but knew him) and he didn't run or build his business (RCBS) based on "ploy(s)". He was a good, honest, businessman. That's one of the reasons his customer service was always tops in the industry. He ran a good, honest business.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote