Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

blue dot in 357...can I use it?
 Login/Join

posted
any problems using blue dot despite the warnings?

Posts: 18 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue dot in a .357 magnum?

My Hodgdon's manual lists it for every bullet weight in the .357 from 110 to 180 grains.

What warnings are you refering to?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
There was some warning about it several years ago. I don't remember exactly what it was but it doesn't apply to one who starts low and works up as one always should anyway.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am referring to the warning from the manufacture...

Alliant Powder periodically reviews and tests their published reloading data to verify that our recommended recipes have not changed over time.

During the latest review Alliant Powder discovered that Alliant Powder's Blue Dot® should not be used in the following applications:

* Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 357 Magnum load using the 125 grain projectile (Blue Dot® recipes with heavier bullet weights as specified in Alliant Powders Reloading Guide are acceptable for use).
* Blue Dot® should NOT be used in the 41 Magnum cartridge (all bullet weights).

Use of Blue Dot® in the above cases may cause a high pressure situation that could cause property damage and serious personal injury.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause and appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Is your question addressed to the 125 grain load specifically? Otherwise it appears there is not an issue.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Im picked up 158gr. Thanks for all the advice now one of these days I can start loading.