New
Find
Notify
Tools

elementary question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Excuse the ignorance , but, can I take 7mm-08 brass that was originally formed from 308 lapua and neck it back up to 308 w/o ruining the brass. If so will I need anything other than just running it back thru 308 die, I've never tried any up sizing before , advise, and thanks much,
Doc Stone

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just make sure to use a tapered expander and it should be OK.

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
You should be able to. What will put a hex on the whole idea is I'm not sure where the shoulder on the .308 is in relation to the 7mm-08. If the 7mm-08's shoulder is higher or the same as the .308's it won't be a problem, if its lower than the .308 shoulder you will automatically make a case with too much headspace. I'll look in my SAAMI cartridge drawings book and get back to you.

OK, I'm back... the datum point for headspace and the shoulder angles are identical. Go for it.

You may want to anneal the necks first though. Decap the brass and set them in a shallow pan of water so the water is half way up the body of the case. Using a propane torch heat the necks until they change color, (light brown) don't go to red. Using the torch tip, knock the case over into the water when the neck reaches color.

When you expand the necks be sure to brush in a light coating of case lube.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of barefootarkie
posted Hide Post
A suspect the brass would have been trimmed after it was sized down to 7-08.
Chances are, when necked back up to 308, it will be short.

...read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and I learned much from both of their styles. (J.B.)

Posts: 51 | Location: Redfield,Ar | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
was not trimmed at all, only sized down to 7,, then fireformed only not reloaded again..
advise ,
thanks,
Doc