New
Find
Notify
Tools

gonna try some new ,06 loads.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My old 30,06 is at MPI getting a new stock.
Its a JC higgins MDL 50.(FN)
I am a little excited about it so to help pass the time I am loading up a few test loads.
My Go to powder for the 06 is IMR-4350 but there was none on the shelf.
So here is what I am starting with.
2 Loads with 150 grain bullets. Using Rem case fed 210M primer and 52 grains of IMR 4064.
With a 150 grain speer flat base, as a general pupose deer load, and the same componants with the 150 grain CT coated fail safe.
The second load would be great for big mule deer and black bear. Also good for caribu if I ever get the chance to hunt them. (I got 200 of these dirt cheap from midway)
Another load I tried is a 165 grain speer FB
same brass and primer over 58 grains of H-4350.
Another good general purpose load for deer black bear and what ever.
The next load I plan to do , and I really hope this one shoots , is a 180 grain partition over a yet to be determind dose of RL-22.
That would be a great elk load. I will be mounting a low power varible, probably a 2X7 leupold.
This rifle should a very light easy to carry general purpose hunting rifle for any game in my home state. (oregon) Love to hear your thoughts on my load componants and scope choices...tj3006 PS If the money is there I might go with a VX3 2.5X8 or 1.75X6.

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`d work up to that 52 gr.
A similar load of 4064 with a 150 gr Hornady SPBT and WLR primer in my MRI Mt Rifle cratered and flattened primers at 51gr. I finaly settled on 50gr as max for the rifle if I remember right.
Just a thought........ Smiler

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas back in 1967 when I started reloading,I was mostly on my own and depended on manuals. Somehow I came up with 4064 as the powder for 30-06 and was using 150 grain bullets. 52.2 grains is what I worked up to as the best. Then I started hearing 4350 was THE powder. Several people had told me this to include my gunsmith. So I got some and gave it a try. In my rifle, I found no load that would match the 4064. I think your choice of a compact Leupold 2x-7x is very good. Leupold does make a compact 3x-9x with EFR(extended focus Range)that has adjustable objective and focuses to a closer range----this scope mostly used on spring air rifles---but it's a great little scope.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I apreciate the advise about the powder , but
I have loaded for this rifle before. I should have said that in my other post.
It is my opinion that puting this new stock on it is likly to change acuracy quite a bit, but as far as preasure goes I should be ok.
the 2X7 leupold I am refering to is not really a compact, but is is smaller than a 3X9 VX 2.
I really don't need a compact scope but this rifle has a 22 inch barrel and is rather light especially with the MPI stock.
quick acurate shots and easy to carry will be what I want from it.
I have learned that on 2 power I can shoot quite well with both eyes open and turn it up to about 6 and I can shoot at prety good range that and the wide choice of 30 caliber bullets should make this rifle about as vesital a rifle as can be.....tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas Jones--Your "love to hear your thoughts on components and scope choices" made it seem like a question.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats was sort of why I put it there.
I wanted to hear other opinions. I have not writen in stone my choices here I could change my mindeasy enough. As a mater of fact , my smith called me and my custom springfield .257 Roberts will be ready on saturday. so, I have to get a scope for that ones 1st.
I think a gloss 3X9 VX2 is the way to go there. Its a 24 inch tube and heaver than my 06. Seems to me a classic american rifle, in a classic american cartridge, deservs a classic american scope.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Your choice of the Leupold 3-9 for your .257 is excellent and the same for that '06 wouldn't be bad either. If you have your heart set on a 2-7 though I couldn't fault you just depends on what you'll use that rifle for. I have a 3-9 VX-II on my '06 and have since 1986 I wouldn't change it for anything.
My '06 has been rather finicky but the accurate load for me is 180 Sierra SPBT's with 56 grains of IMR-4350. I've tried a couple other powders and some lighter bullets but the accuracy in mine is great with the above load.
I've heard that "if your 30/06 won't shoot 150 grain bullets with IMR-4064 it is possesed" ( O'Conner, loose quote I can't remember word for word).
Anyway good luck on those rifles and lets see some pictures. Let us know how the load development works out too.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with those scope choices. I too like IMR 4350 as a pretty much do-anything powder. But over the years, MANY accuracy loads for the .30/'06 have used IMR 4064 powder.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a good look at the 2.5-8 VX III scope as well. It is pretty compact and can be had with a B&C reticle. Might be a nice compliment to that new 257R.

I like mine....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote