THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Looking for a 40g V-MAX load for my .223 Rem. CZ527.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a 40g V-MAX load for my .223 Rem. CZ527.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a good 55g Nosler BT load for this rifle. Shoots at or below 5/8" routinely with the 55g bullet - which ought to work well for Coyotes her in PA where the shooting is pretty much 100 yards or less.

I've been looking for a load that shoots as well with either a 40g V-MAX or 40g Nosler BT for ground hogs hoping for a somewhat flatter shooting load. So far I've tried IMR4198 (which works well with the 55g Nosler) but nothing in the recommended range groups less than about an inch and a half. I have AA2460 and benchmark as other powders to try but though I'd ask to see if perhaps somebody has already found something I can try before doing a grid search through several powders.

Thanks,
Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
My .223 liked 27.5 grs. of Varget using Win. brass and Rem 7 1/2 primers with the 40 gr. V-Max.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
27.5 grains of Accurate 2230. Winchester SR primers. 40 Grain v-Max Moly. Win. brass.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll give those a try.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've recently had good results using benchmark and the 40gr v-max.

Posts: 21 | Location: Manitoba | Registered: 05 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what's the twist?

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The twist on the CZ is 1:12. It is good for bullets 55g and lighter.

Fitch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by can06:
I've recently had good results using benchmark and the 40gr v-max.

Cool. I just bought a pound of Benchmark. I'll give that a try as well.

I notice that there is a significant disparity between the recommended max charge of Benchmark between the 40g Nosler BT (28.0g) and the 40g Hornady V-max (26.4g). Both bullets model the same in QL and appear to be the same size. 28.0g is a pretty stiff load but models as below max. I can't help but wonder why there is such a big max charge difference for what appear to be almost identical bullets?

Fitch

posted Hide Post
The hodgden site shows 27.3 max for the 40 Nosler BT.

My quick 40 v-max target tests came out with 25.6gr of benchmark shooting the most accurate but +/- 0.4 gr either way didn't open the group too much. Just start off at Min load and work up to find what works for your gun.

BTW, I had a really good percentage hit rate on gophers in the 200-300+ yrd range last weekend with this load and bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had great results with 28 grains of W748. It also meters well.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
for max velocity, and excellent accuracy..
this is old data, so work up, and it is assuming a bolt action...

24 grains of RL 7.. in Win, Rem and LC brass you can work that up to 26 + grains...

This shoots 40 grain Ballistic Tips and BlitzKings in my 223s with 26 inch barrels between 3900 and 4000 fps...

Accuracy is everything you'd expect from a BlitzKing or Ballistic Tip...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:

It is. (CZ527 American - only a 22" barrel though.)

quote:

24 grains of RL 7.. in Win, Rem and LC brass you can work that up to 26 + grains...

This shoots 40 grain Ballistic Tips and BlitzKings in my 223s with 26 inch barrels between 3900 and 4000 fps...

Wow. Ya gotta love performance like that. That is hauling right along. I seldom get much more than 3600.

quote:

I've no clue how well QL models RL7, but looking at it, I'd have to back that down to 23g to start and work up from there in .5g increments looking at MV, feeling the bolt, and watching for the group to converge.

Thanks for the input. I wrote this down on my candidates list. I currently have two sets of screening loads ready to go - AA2460 and Benchmark. H335 is next if neither of those works because I have some of it.

If they don't get me where I want to be (over 3500 and under 3/4") I'll buy bottles of RL7, and RL10x and see how they do.

Thanks
Fitch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went out to the Shippensburg Fish and Game Association range today. Weather was excellent, and the wind didn't build up until after 1300, so I had plenty of time to run thorugh 40 rounds of test ammo in 4 shot groups with cooling between them. I was doing screening testing over the chronograph so I was only shooting at 100 yards though the range has back stops at 25yd, 50yd, 100yd, 200yd, 300yd, 400yd, 500yd, and 800 meters. It really is a NICE range.

The best group today was with:

40g V-MAX, CCI400, 27.8g of AA2460, 2.2" COL. MV averaged 3605 fps. The 4 shot group has the following statistics:

Maximum spread 0.57 MOA
Vertical spread 0.55 MOA
Horizontal spread 0.48 MOA
Average Group Radius 0.26 MOA

Basically it is a 1/2" group near enough as doesn't make any difference with plenty of muzzle velocity. Accurate flat shooting load.

If I don't do any better, that one is plenty good enough for a hunting load. Sighted for a 200 yard zero, QT says it is within 1.13" of LOS from 15.5 yds to 228 yards. Dang! That is one totally awesome walk around GH load! I mean that will geterdone!

Am I pumped, Oh Heck Yes! This is just the sort of load I was looking for. I was shooting off the RASS which I sometimes use in the field because I wanted the dynamics included in the evaluation. The RASS is better than shooting sticks by a bunch but no where near as steady as a good solid front bench rest or bipod - however it allows me to cover a 250 yard radius over a full circle if I find a situation like that (about 40 acres!). I think this load might group at least 1/3 smaller off a good bench rest.

Then I started in on the Benchmark test set. Everything the same except substituting Benchmark for AA2460. The 4th load (27.5g) ended up the best with an AGR of 0.32" for an average group size of 0.64" @ 3662 fps.

This too would do as a walk around GH hunting load. The MV is a trifle higher but not enough to affect anything. I think I may explore around 27.5g just a little and see if maybe this could be shrunk a bit. I might do the same with the AA2460 load as well - go +/- 0.4g in 0.2g steps and see what happens.

More when I know more.

Fitch

posted Hide Post
Looks like you found a couple of good loads there and that's some nice shooting. I would definitely try a few loads .2 or .3g on either side as well as trying a few at a different seating depths.

After that try them out at your maximum intended target range to see how each performs. Its fun working up loads isn't it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by can06:
Looks like you found a couple of good loads there and that's some nice shooting. I would definitely try a few loads .2 or .3g on either side as well as trying a few at a different seating depths.

Defintely. They are loaded and ready. I five 4 round sets for each powder. The original best load plus two spaced out 0.2g on each side of it.

I would normally do as you suggest looking at distance off the lands next, but that doesn't work with this clip fed CZ for two reasons: First, it apparently has a European style throat which seems to be longer and less abrupt than the American style throat - so the bullet has to stick way out to be close to the lands. Second, it is clip fed and won't take a round longer than SAAMI spec in the clip. Since this is a walk around hunting rifle, I want to use the clip.

I do have a single shot clip replacement gizmo that I bought from Sinclair. I've used that to load single of bullets that won't fit in the clip.

quote:

After that try them out at your maximum intended target range to see how each performs. Its fun working up loads isn't it!

Fun? Oh my yes! It's a really cool combination of science, art, shooting skill, being outdoors, and a chance to experience success, the feeling of accomplishment.

Then once it is all done, there is the endorphin flood that comes with a good hunt, figuring out where the game will be, getting in position, and capping it all off by making a good shot on a varmint, dropping them in their shadow, OSOK, and knowing why it was good, and not just luck. I love it when that happens.

That's what it's all about. It is something only shooters understand.

Fitch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have apparently discovered the universal 40g load for my CZ527 American Sporter in .223Rem. 27.5g of Benchmark, CCI400, 2.23" COL shoots, when I do my part, into one tiny little ragged hole with the 40g V-MAX, the 40g Nosler BT, and the 40g Sierra Blitzking. MV is 3,600 fps +/- 20fps.

Group sizes are off the bench with a good front rest and Protektor rear bag (which allows recoil) and run around 1/4" to 3/8" at 100 meters. These are the best groups I've gotten with this rifle so far.

I haven't tried the other 40g Sierra bullets, but at this point I expect them to work just as well.

Fitch

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fitch:
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:

It is. (CZ527 American - only a 22" barrel though.)

quote:

Wow. Ya gotta love performance like that. That is hauling right along. I seldom get much more than 3600.

quote:

I've no clue how well QL models RL7, but looking at it, I'd have to back that down to 23g to start and work up from there in .5g increments looking at MV, feeling the bolt, and watching for the group to converge.

Thanks for the input. I wrote this down on my candidates list. I currently have two sets of screening loads ready to go - AA2460 and Benchmark. H335 is next if neither of those works because I have some of it.

If they don't get me where I want to be (over 3500 and under 3/4") I'll buy bottles of RL7, and RL10x and see how they do.

Thanks
Fitch

I like Seafire2's load recommendation. I got it from this forum from Seafire2 quite a while ago and started messing around with the RL-7 powder in the Nosler 40g. BT. One Remington rifle I had maxed out at 27.0g and another at 26.0g and both of them tripped the chrony at 3925-3935 fps both with 26" tubes. Just different tolerances for the two rifles.

I would start out at 23-24 g and work your way up noting the velocity you are looking for and the accuracy desired. I found the accuracy to tighten in my last rifle as the velocity increased!!

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with H-335 (not sure of the charge, but it was the book max and it worked fine), 28 gr of W-748 or 24.5 - 25.0 of H-322, all with the 40 gr Ballistic Tip or V-Max and a WLR primer in Fed brass.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was testing 40 grainers for my new Savage last year I had real good luck with V-MAXs and Benchmark powder. I had even better luck with Nosler Ballistic Tips and Reloader 10X. The faster I pushed them the better they shot. I got a five shot average of 3,797 with an extreme spread of 11 fps and 1/2" group with unsorted cases.

Last week I put 10 shots into a little less than 3/8" with match prepped cases.

Reloader10X is especially made for light bullets.

My rifle hated the both the V-MAXs and Reloader and the Nosler and Benchmark combos at any velocity. Go figure.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
223 load development is my latest challenge. I've been focusing on 55 grain bullets but also have 40 grain BlitzKing and Ballistic Tips.

(40 grain bullets) Nosler lists Reloader #7 load range from 21.5 - 23.5 grains and on Real Guns they take RL-7 to 24.5 grains as the max load for 40 grain bullets.

For the 55 grain Ballistic Tip bullets I'm getting good results with BL-2(C) and Reloader 10x. I had no luck at all with Win 748 or with V-Max bullets. Varget is an accurate powder but lacks in the velocity department compared to 2(C) and 10x.

Posts: 29 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My quest for a 40g BT load for my CZ527 American is over. The load I have gotten 9 ground hogs in a row with (at ranges out to 154 yards so far) is:

Nosler 40g BT set 0.020" off the lands
28.0g of AA2460 (use a drop tube)
Winchester brass
CCI400 primer

The PBR +/- 3/4" from line of sight is 27 yards to 200 yards. The MV averages 3660 fps, SD of 10.

The Nosler 40g Ballistic Tip bullet is really very good. the terminal performance is totally excellent. On the closer shots, 70 and 80 yards, you can see the hydraulic shock when it hits - the GH actually swells up and rips open on the far side. There are exactly zero crawl off hits even on 10 lb GH.

I have a 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite 3200 on the rifle, it clears the bolt with the factory rings. I zeroed it at 100 yards, then went up 3 clicks to get to the PBR zero. Went to the 200 yard range and got hits about 1/2" below POA.

Where I hunt here in So. Central PA there aren't many shots over 200 yards so this load has it covered.

And it shoots into groups like this:

I loaded up 100 of them. That will get me through the rest of this summer. The combination of the rifle and load is the equivelant of a death ray for ground hogs. It would be a bit light for Coyotes, but then that's what my .243 is for.

Fitch