Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range report on 1st Handloads
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to handloading, having bought a Dillon 550 about 3 weeks ago.

I loaded up the following for my Les Baer Ultimate NRA match (1-8 twist):

Sierra 69 gr. HPBT
Varget - 25.3 gr
Lapua Brass
CCI Primers
CAOL: 2.270

This was my 1st attempt at handloading so obviously I took it slow. I did not use the Dillon for adding powder - I did this by hand.

As for the results - I have to say that I am VERY happy - I shot several 1/4 inch groups at 100yds in light to moderate wind (3 in a row!) The gun itself is guaranteed to shoot 1/2 moa from factory, but 1/4 groups is outstanding in my opinion. I just have to say that handloading is the ONLY way to go if you are serious about your sport. Also - thanks for all the help & advice on this forum. I had posted a question relating to "Halo" rings left by my Redding seating die - obviously they have no bearing on accuracy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. And who said a progressive press was incapable of producing accurate rifle ammo? Although in your case I'd call it more like semi-progressive. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And another gun nut for life is born. Having turned several people on to reloading, I can say that once it bites you, you're hooked and you become even more enamored of your guns and your freedoms. Join the NRA. Vote Freedom First.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote