New
Find
Notify
Tools

Death of H870
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Maybe this is old news, but I just got off the Hodggon site. They announced that the company is discontinuing 870. The military stopped using it, so the company is dropping the line. And just when I was getting ready to give the powder a try.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shit. That sucks. I loved that powder!!! [Frown]

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I have written a letter and am sending it snail mail Monday. Basically I thought H870 was a rather versatile powder and am sorry to see they are ending a real seller. I told them they should seriously think about having it duplicated in new manufacture.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Herb D>
posted
Yes, I too found that info. It's too bad as I just finished working up useable loads with different bullets and weights using this powder in my PSS 300 RUM.
At this rate (switching over to Retumbo)my barrel will be worn out before I'll arrive at that "magic" load again. My problem now is that everybody within 100 miles has neither powder and I've got a couple of elk hunts coming up very shortly.
Oh well . . . SHXX happens.

one of us
posted Hide Post
H870 was my favorite 7mm Rem mag powder, particularly with 175 grain bullets. I don't even have a can hoarded away either. Loads with it were accurate & velocity was high. Doggone it!

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Man..... [Confused] I love H870!!!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like very that one.it is too bad

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't Accurate Arms sell the same thing?

They usta and I think I still have few pounds left.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
I know. Someone informed me a little while ago. Really sucks cause I was using a full case of the stuff under a 160 gr Partition in my 7mm Rem Mag and the load was showing promise. I only have a pound of it left and I think it would be a waste to buy more. I think I am just going to buy some RL19 and some RL22 and work up some loads with that.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
This thing about H-870 not being available is old news...very old news.

When Hodgdon first announced it I suggested that if you use it, buy what you can off the shelves...it will last forever if sorted properly.

I guess that is why I have 5 8-pounders in the powder magazine...

Burning rates ... faster to slower...
124. H-5010
125. IMR-7828
126. AA-8700

127. N-170
128. H-1000
129. H-870

130. 24N-41
131. H-50BMG
132. 20N-29

[ 11-22-2002, 16:44: Message edited by: ricciardelli ]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Accurate has 8700, which is pretty close to the same thing, and gibrass.com offers WC872, which can be loaded using H870 data.

According to a few guys who use WC872, lots can vary pretty widely in speed, so, exercise prudence.

R-WEST

[ 11-21-2002, 18:26: Message edited by: R-WEST ]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote