Find
Notify
Tools

Turret press Question????????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
I am considering getting one. My question is the following. After working it and getting used to it, how many handgun rounds can one pump out in an hour. I am looking at Lyman / Redding. Any input?????? [Confused]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman. Pretty good press, but I use it for only one specific load and I don't set any speed records. I would guess 200-250 per hours.

Eddie

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Do you make each bullet at a time, or one operation at a time then turn the turret for the next opeartion?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP, if production is your goal, go with a Dillon. It's what they're geared for, they have a great warrenty/customer service policy, and they plain work. 400-600 rounds per hour are easily acheivable. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop, you can use it as a single stage or you can load a complete round. I load complete rounds.

Eddie

<oneshot>
posted
I agree with Dan if it is high production you want at a fair price , nothing beats a Dillon 550B exept the Dillon 650 and 1050 .
If you want to do them one at a time get a Co-ax or a rock chucker.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
I am considering getting one. My question is the following. After working it and getting used to it, how many handgun rounds can one pump out in an hour. I am looking at Lyman / Redding. Any input?????? [Confused]

Just a word of advise, consider exactly how you want to drop and check the powder charge.

I'm referring to the difference in 9mm and .45acp where the powder charge can be seen with the case in the press easily if you get the lighting overhead just right.

And .357 cases where light loads have the powder so far down into the cases that you can't see it. Some use a powder check die to make sure every case has about the right amount of powder.

As to reloading speed, I find I can change cases faster than I can turn the turret. Therefore, I clean the brass, resize all the cases, reprime the cases with a hand primer. Then I expand the case mouth and drop powder (I use the lee dies and powder measure), followed by seating and crimping the bullet.

The advantage I get is that I don't need to handle cases with powder. I converted when I dropped 3 9mm cases out of 50 one night.

I now use a lee pro1000 for my 9mm and get and easy 300 rounds per hour. And contrary to the experts I find most of the pro1000 made out of aluminum, just like a dillon (and no, the pro1000 doesn't have the same quality as the dillon). I do love mine though.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanx for your input guys!
[Wink]