THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    "Advise "Loads for a Sako Stainless Steel in 7 STW

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Advise "Loads for a Sako Stainless Steel in 7 STW
 Login/Join

Picture of Venado Viejo
posted
Hi
Any one with a Sako Stainless Steel the new key Concept model in 7mm STW that has worked in some loads with Excelent accuracy that can help me.....i loaded some rounds with 7828 & the best result was with 79.5 Gr. of 7828 140 Gr. Nosler Ball Tip Federal match primer & i was not so happy any other recepie that can work better than 3 Inches Group at 200 Mts. ?

Thanks

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You might want to check up under the "Medium Bore" there have been several discussions on 7STW loads. The one I use and as well as several others on the board is 82grs 7828 with the 140s. My group is just about half yours. But a 3" group at 200m is nothing to sneeze at.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Venado Viejo
posted Hide Post
Do you think if i do the same load but changing to a Federal 215 primer (Not Match)that might help ?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you think if i do the same load but changing to a Federal 215 primer (Not Match)that might help ?

Well when I think of setting off 80grs of slow powder a match primer is not my go to. But then again I don't normally look for a large rifle match primer period. I use a magnum primer with my loads and would not think of using a standard primer with that much slow powder.

If you feel you are close to max pressure with your load and you go to a magnum primer you might want to back off or at least "pay close attention".

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H1000 would be a much better choice with the 140gr. bullet. I'd use the Federal 215 primer.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all my magnums use federal 215 primers in match or regular,jj has a great tip for you, H 1000 is great iv''e loaded it behind 160s myself.regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR 7828 is a rather fast powder for the 7mm STW, as is H1000. I use surplus WC 872, but a good commercial alternative might be the new Hodgdon US 869.

"Magnum" primers are unlikely to either help or hurt your groups. Some "standard" primers actually have more briscience than some "magnum" primers, but virtually any primer is "hot" enough to reliably spark any amount of confined nitro-cellulose based propellent.

Posts: 13244 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Venado Viejo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jay Johnson

What load do you use with the H-1000 & 140Gr. Bulllets ?

Sierra BT or Nos. Ball Tip ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Venado Viejo:
quote:
Jay Johnson

What load do you use with the H-1000 & 140Gr. Bulllets ?

Sierra BT or Nos. Ball Tip ?

I'm a long ways from my loading data at this time being just outside Dallas Texas on vacation. I'm don't want to give you bad numbers. In a few days I should be back home.

Stone creek I agree H1000 is a bit fast if your are using heavier bullets than 140's but for the light bullets in both of my STW's that powder will achieve a MV from 3450 in my slow barrel to 3550 in my fast barrel.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote