Find
Notify
Tools

Calipers?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted
Who makes the best calipers? Are the digital ones as accurate as the dial type? TIA - Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just went through this myself - I ended up w/a 6" Mitutoyo digital caliper. So far I love it. That .0000" (fourth digit) takes some getting used to, but I tend to ignore it - no way am I that good!! Good points: you can set a reference point to measure differences, good solid construction,very easy to read, and lockable. Bad points: I don't know how long the battery will last, or how a weak battery affects operation. And the model I purchased does not have an automatic shut-off (waste of battery life).

You'll find some people that won't give up their dials, and some that swear by digitals. My limited experience in using both - it's a wash....each has its own application and downfalls.

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T/C

On another thread, someone said they measured the current drain on a set of digital calipers, and the current drain was, for all practical purposes the same with the switch on or off. The switch only shuts off the LCD which draws practically no current at all. The switch is just there so people can feel like they are saving the battery, which should last 2 years with the calipers on.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info - I did read that. I've only had the tool about a month,but I think I've measured everything but my dic...kson build counter top!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't used a caliper before I would suggest you stay away from the older style and get either a dial (about $14.00 for a Stainless Steel import) or a digital ( $50.00 and up)
I have a dial one that I got 4 years ago, I had an old Sears that was 30 plus years old that I couldn't find after a move. I bought the new one and found the old one a week later.
here is a site that you can get them "worth the money" http://www.wttool.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WT&Product_Code=1266-0058

[ 03-08-2003, 11:59: Message edited by: Ed Barrett ]

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Starrett. Quality. The 120 series, nice stainless steel, with a dial....once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. Starretts are pricey, but you could pick one up on ebay.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I see in the Sinclair catalog they think the Staretts are the best too. Since I'm new to reloading and have never read a dial caliper - is it straightforward? Or is a digital one gonna keep me out of trouble better? Thanks again, Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting thread to me. I love the history and tools of the LS Starrett co., however I believe Mitutoyos are superior in terms of accuracy. I know this because I check and recheck any and all calipers against gauge blocks, and dial indicators at school and home. Also Brown & Sharps are the SLICKEST calipers you can buy, man are they smooth. As a side joke to this matter but kinda unrelated... I dont know if any of heard but Starrett was raided by the feds not to long ago for accuracy standards on their CMMs (not calipers). Id have to say we are all nit-pick'n though as even $29 chinese "diamond" brand calipers are far more accurate than inexperianced people with top of the line. Also... Starrett, Mit, B&S, Fowler ect... are completely accurate within their divisonal range, which should be the smallest incrament they should be accounted for.the ADC's on digitals should not give inaccurate readings when they are "low" on juice, just no readings.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote