Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lee 3 hole turret press
 Login/Join

posted
i am new to reloading and have a question. i have seen a lot of info on 4 hole turret presses (esp. lee classic) but not much on the lee 3 hole turret. the price of the 3 hole is pretty reasonable and i have seen a few on ebay.

what are your opinions on this. i am considering depriming outside with a mallet and punch (slow i know) to cut down on primer dust (small kids and lead concerns). I currently have a hand press that I use with a lee classic loader.

what could I expect by depriming and hand priming first with what I have, then using the 3 hole turret press for finishing up.

thanks for any help you can give, I am new and am asking a lot of questions.

posted Hide Post
I forgot to figure in sizing with my depriming plan.....I would slow things down dramatically by doing this instead of doing it all in one motion.

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the three holers that I use for pistol. Since I always resize and clean cases and recap by hand before loading I find the three hole press holding a Lee expander with powder measure, seater and crimper dies is just about perfect for my pistol reloading. A four holer would just waste a hole. I keep a set of dies for each cartridge in their own turret already setup and ready to load. I keep other turrets with three different resizing and decapping dies.

However I do find the auto advance to not be particularly reliable on the three hole press and it is cheaply made, none-the-less I like it and would get another if this one broke.

By the way depriming with a mallet and punch is slow and likely to be more enviromentally hazardous than depriming on the press, especially if (when) you discover a live primer. Just practice good hygiene, and don't get distracted.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote