THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Primer flowing into small pit in bolt face, dangerous ??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer flowing into small pit in bolt face, dangerous ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When I purchased my cz .458 win mag it had a tiny pit in the bolt face, when I took it to my smith for coversion to a .458 lott I showed him and he said it's to small to worry about.

I fired it for the first time this weekend and all loads fired exhibit the imprint of this small pit in the primer, no sticky extraction or bolt lift etc. so I assume pressures are fine.

I do not care it is doing it unless it's dangerous if anyone knows wether it is I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
By itself, I'd say no problem.
BUT you mentioned extraction was OK.
Is the primer flattenned out with square edges?
How about case head expansion?
Are you firing reloads?
If so, what load, and how long do your cases last?

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

they were reloads and they were conservativly loaded with a slower powder AR2208 83 grains behind a 400 gr speer and fed 215M primer.This load with the 400 gr bullet would also be a long way of the lands. I fired a few testers to work up to this load, but those shells are mixed up with my 83 grain shells, none look any different. I only noticed the mark from the pit in the bolt face later on.

I also touched off a 510 gr win soft with 80 gr of AR2208 & Fed 215M Cases were Hornady.

Extraction was perfect You could lift the bolt as if there were no shells in it at all. Primers to me look alright (I aint that experienced)

one of us
posted Hide Post
No worries mate [Big Grin] Sorry, I couldn't resist.
One bolt I have is the same. It has a half-moon scratch across the firing pin hole. It leaves a mark in my primers as well, even on starting loads. The primer is going to move back to hit the bolt face when fired and since its fairly thin it should easily mar. Primers should flatten out some BTW, even low pressure pistol primers flatten out a little. As John Y Cannuck said "Is the primer flattenned out with square edges?" Square edges is the key. I have never fired a load that flattened a primer but a few were over pressure thats for sure. I needed two hands to lift a bolt yesterday using factory ammo [Mad] No other signs, but thats the last one of those I'm firing.

Posts: 101 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
The design of the bolt on my 1886 winchester means that it leaves a line across the face of light loads on the primer. I think you're OK, but judgement over the net....

PEI Rob

Saw a thread the other day about Remington Factory Amo blowing up a gun. Can't remember if it was here, or on HA. Might be worth checking out.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every ammo factory's always had people claiming blowups from their ammo.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks I would actually like a picture of a square edge primer if anyone has one.

I did not think it would be much of a problem. But I am a perfectionist and I would prefer the mark was not there but if it is not problamatic well it could be considered "unique" [Wink]