Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 Magnum Primers?
 Login/Join

posted
Just reading the Hodgdon Re-Loading manual which suggests the use of Magnum powders whenever more than 35 grs of powder are used. I am currently loading Lapua cases with Lapua Scenar 155gr bullets and using 48grs of Viht n540 with Federal Match primers. By their suggestion I should be using Magnum primers, any thoughts? Thank you.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I guess you can use magnum primers, if you use them to work-up your load.

However, I use Remington 9-1/2 primers with all the powders and have had no problems.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Magnum powders whenever more than 35 grs of powder are used.

You mean 'Magnum primers'?? if so, it is a crock! I would put the limit on powder charges that MUST HAVE magum primers (if indeed there are such needs) closer to 100 grains than to 35 grains! I never use them in cartridges like .30/'06, etc., and not too often even in rounds like the .375 H&H. Regular primers work just fine. BUT, magnum primers MIGHT be better for some hard-to-light slow ball powders like H870, etc.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Through the years & diff. calibers, I have found magnum primers only raise pressures in most. If you are using a lot of ball powder, maybe. If you load the big capacity case like the Rigby, maybe, but I have loaded my 7mm Dakota (73gr 7828) w/ RP9 1/2 or Fed. 210m w/ very good success.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote