New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading 7x57R---
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just acquired a German drilling, cannot tell the manufacturer. Probably post WWII. 16x16 over 7x57R. I'd like to reload & shoot the 7x57R. I have not had experience loading them and have not found loads in the various reloading manual that specifically says 7x57R. Do I use regular 7x57 Mauser loads?? Reduce them by 10% to start?? Do you use regular 7x57 dies and just the appropriate shell holder for the rimmed cartridge? Would appreciate any suggestions you have. My experience level is about 4 on a 10 scale. Thanks!

Jerry

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our very own "Gerry" loads the 7x57R, so hopefully he will spot this thread and chime in. In general, the 7x57R is loaded to LOWER pressures than the 7x57. I don't have my CIP data available here, but I can check over the weekend to see how much lower max pressure is for the 7x57R.

In particular if you are loading for an older break-top gun, it is important not to get too carried away. Too high pressures might cause the gun to shoot loose.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I will eagerly await your help. It is an older drilling.

I appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Jerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Judge Jerry:
Do you use regular 7x57 dies and just the appropriate shell holder for the rimmed cartridge? Jerry

Yes, that works.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo J-J.....and Hi, Mike!

Hapy, Happy, Happy

dancing

a new Drilling in 7x57R - Cool!

I have a Brno BBF & a Blaser K-95 Single Shot in 7x57R. The much newer and improved lock up of the Blaser allows use of 7x57 data but the Drillings and BBF's should be relgated to 7x57R data only. For the vast majority of the powders that are useful in the 7x57R like AA, H & IMR4350's the difference between 7x57 & 7x57R data is usually about two grains less. Right now I'm using VVN-160 & VVN-560 with 120 Barnes TXS', Hornady 154 RN's and my old hoard of RWS 177 gr. TIG's and lucked into a large supply of Midways marketed 140 gr. SPBT's (appear to be 140 gr. Sieerra SPBT'S). They all shoot fantastic and continue to drop European sized Deer & Wild Boar with monotonous regularity.

There's no need to Hot-Rod the 7x57R anyway since it kills so good just the way it is and IME the 154-177 grain bullets perform better than the lighter bullets.

I use Geco & RWS brass exclusively since I can obtain it easily here and from my experience the weak link in the chain of attempting to push the envelope is the primer pockets of the cases. Use 7x57R data and the cases will last indefinately, attmept anything else will loosen the pockets asap IME.

I've got a set of RCBS 7x57R Dies and they're perfect but I've loaded 8x57IRS & 7x65R with regualar rimless counterpart Die Sets in 7x64 Brenneke & 8x57 by simply using the correct shellholder. The best fit I get for the 7x57R cases is with a Lyman 7X.

Good Luck with your new Drilling and if there's anything I can help with let me know.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, cool you found the thread and offered some insight Gerry!

Meanwhile, I had look at the max CIP pressure values for the 7x57 (3400 Bar) vs the 7x57R (3000 Bar). The lower pressure for the rimmed cartridge is explicitly in deference to guns such as the drilling discussed here. Treat it well, and it will last you a lifetime. Run it hot, and it will likely shoot loose - and what a pity that would be!

As Gerry notes, the difference in max pressure typically translates into 2-3 grain less powder for 7x57R max loads (compared to 7x57).

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

Thank you, I appreciate the advice and will follow it. Will locate some Brass. Midway & Graff have Hornady so will probably get it. Will also try to order the RCBS 7x57R dies directly if cannot locate them elsewhere. I will let you both know how it goes, happy hunting to all.

Thanks again,
Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I didn't see your post when I replied to Gerrys. Thanks to you also for the help and information. I have heard many good things about the regular 7x57 but have never known anyone who actually had one. I was excited when I found this rifle. Will keep both of you updated, and thanks again for all the help.

Sincerely,
Jerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
J-J,

Hey, have fun with the new Boomer.

I wastn't aware that Hornady made 7x57R brass but if so it's probably good stuff. I'd fire it initially in the Drilling and then adjust the Dies, the brass lasts indefinately with a Rim & Shoulder fit.

An aside and added benefit - the recoil froma 7x57R is about as pleasant as it gets - kills all outa proportion to the mimimal thump on the shoulder.

The 16 gauges were the most common for older Drillings as they had their own action size which is considerably smaller than a 12 gauge Drilling enhancing handling and reducing the overall heft. If it's scoped you'll notice the dilema of an erect & high head position due a stock made for shotgun use less the scope. For range testing an Uncle Mike's cartridge holder (one of the black elastic one's) with pretty much anything wadded underneath it, cardboard, a washcloth or whatever will help greatly in getting the head position right if the stock is too low. Some don't mind but I've a Giraffe-like neck, so......

If you start getting vertical stringing when load testing or sighting-in you're shooting too fast. If the heat gets into the barrel solder they do tend to spread a group out way-y-y up & down and you'll have to let it cool down for a while before proceeding. I normally wait at least 5-10 minutes between shots when working with the Drilling at the range.

You'll be surpised though most Drillings shoot VERY well when you take your time and remember, like most rifles; the FIRST shot outa a cold barrel is the one you want to use as your default position.

Have fun, gotta go it's early here in The Fatherland and I'm invited to the first Drive Hunt of the season - wish me Waidmannsheil!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry & mho:

Thank you for all your help. I posted another thread under the drilling section titled, "German Drilling???" and got some wonderful help identifying what we had. L2S posted the photos for me. The discovery process was fun and enlightening. I have sure appreciated the help of the various forum members from all over the world who helped me.

Now to enjoy the Drilling!!

Thanks, again, for your input.
Jerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
J-J,

You're welcome.

I've been lurking in the Drilling section and noticed your new aquisition but have not chimed in yet as it appears you're getting good advice all around.

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10