New
Find
Notify
Tools

357 magnum for rifle and pistol recipe
 Login/Join

Picture of marquezlc
posted
I have three different powders to choose from here. I am trying to come up with a good practice load that will shoot well out of a winchester 94 and a ruger vaquero. The bullet I will be using is 125 grain cast lead flat nose cowboy action type bullet. I would like the loads on the "lighter" side. Here is the powders I have
Hodgdon H110
Alliant Bullseye
alliant 2400

I am looking to get the most loads per pound. Thank you in advance for your time.

Posts: 50 | Location: Northern NM | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bullseye without a doubt.
2.7 grs should do as far as comboy gamer loads.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of marquezlc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
bullseye without a doubt.
2.7 grs should do as far as comboy gamer loads.

Thank you for the fast response just to confirm that's 2.7 grains? That is a whole lot more economical than 21 grand of h110 thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old The H-110 will not function very well in your pistola, unless bullets sticking in the barrel is of little interest. Eeker roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of marquezlc
posted Hide Post
That h110 stuff sure seems to be finicky I guess it has its purpose but I will definitely keep it away from my 357. Thanks again sir

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot max H110 loads in my 357 rifle but it is not the powder for the load your talking about.

use your bullseye

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I shoot max H110 loads in my 357 rifle but it is not the powder for the load your talking about.

use your bullseye

tu2The H-110 works great in rifles, at least mine.In revolvers the pressure and temp decrease drastically as the bullet leaves the cylinder and enters the barrel. old Personal experience. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of drewzter
posted Hide Post
I had the same question and found some available Tightgroup. Is that similar , will it work as well or should I keep looking for Bullesye? I have read that it is not recommmended for lead. Darn.

Posts: 14 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: 25 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
titegroup works just fine.
I shoot it with lead in my 9m and in my 38-357.
titegroup isn't position sensitive either.
i'm a little more comfortable using 3.0 grs of it and working up a tick at a time.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marquezlc:
That h110 stuff sure seems to be finicky I guess it has its purpose but I will definitely keep it away from my 357. Thanks again sir

H110 is a volume sensitive powder that need a tight crimp and magnum primers to ensure proper ignition. You will get squibs if you use a load below the manuals starting load or do not crimp tightly and use a non magnum primer. After contacting Hodgden after a squib load their general recommendation is to not go lower than -3% from the maximum.

I use H110 if my Beretta stampede using nothing smaller then 158's.For reduced loaded I use American select which is a tad slower then Titegroup

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
H110 is not for use in "light" loads. It is the most accurate "full house" load that I have ever used in my 357 and my experience with it is echoed by many others. I do not use maximum loads but I do use very close to maximum loads in order to get the accuracy that I want. Titegroup is a very good powder for light loads in the 357.

NOTE: most of the carbine makers suggest a 158 grain bullet be used if you expect reliable functioning and accuracy.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For light bullet loads use the bullseye,save the 110 for full house loads with heavier ones.

Just load for the pistol,then when you find a load you like try it in the pistol,it works in my 41 mag.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of marquezlc
posted Hide Post
Thank you to everyone for the responses. Ill just stick to bullseye. I dont want keep track of which rounds are for pistol and which are for rifle.