THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Anyone see Jamison's Article on Bonded Bullets

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anyone see Jamison's Article on Bonded Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally got the article (Thanks Dad! Apparently nobody shoots around here....).

The penetration tests were interesting. I really wish he had included some NorthForks and the 200 AccuBond. Too bad the 180 InterBonds weren't available. The Scirocco did surprisingly well--much better than it has in my tests. I wish he had shown cross sections of the wound channels.

And the BC test--great stuff! It really showed how superior the plastic tipped bullets are to their blunt-tipped bonded counterparts for long range work.

As I expected, the Swift and the Hornady strutted their stuff showing they are the sleekest of the sleek, beating the Nosler handily. Too bad neither make a 200 or they could unseat the Nosler as the BC King of hunting bullets (for 30 caliber at least). But in like weights, they will have an advantage--if your rifle likes their pickier aggressive secant ogives.

And I was really happy to see he included the 180 TSX in the test. I've been berated here before for stating Barnes pulls their advertised BC's of most of their X bullets from deep within their sphincters as most are simply physically impossible, but here's another side-by-side test to add to the "Here me now, believe me later" files.

Of course no "advertised" number is going to be perfect as actual numbers will vary a bit with different rifles and conditions...and Hornady is obviously underrating their plastic tipped bullets quite a bit (as many have known for a long time and enjoyed it)...but Barnes' numbers are "off the charts" wrong--the wrong way.

They advertise the 180 TSX as having a substantially higher BC than the Swift and way higher than the Nosler...and yet the Nosler thumps it very soundly and the Swift beats it like a red-headed roundnose.

Don't get me wrong, they're fine bullets for their purpose. I used X bullets for many years--but one of the reasons was because I thought they had such high BC's (until I actually started shooting at long range). They certainly aren't horrible BC-wise, they're going to be much better than the semi-spitzer types of similar toughness.

But every time somebody who uses them wonders out loud what the hype on the plastic tipped bullets is all about, "Because the X Bullets still have higher BC's" it just makes me want to scream! THEY DON'T! YOU'VE BEEN DUPED!

Sorry for the rant. I feel better now.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I read the article with interest, noting he did not speak about the North Forks, which I shoot almost exclusively now. I have always wondered how they choose the bullets they write about, looks to me like they should talk about all of them is they are really covering the subject. Good shooting.

I might consider using them if they did not have the BC of a brick!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

300winnie,

As most of you know, I am one of the more vocal critics of Jamison and nothing has changed my mind on that. I have not read this article but have read others he has writen on the subject and he really does like those very spendy Swift bullets.

In my mind, of the tipped jacketed bullets, the Accubonds are the best hands down, here is why I like the Accubond bullets:

They are in heavy for caliber weights which is a benifit not only in B.C. but also in limiting expansion and increasing penetration in a straight line.

They also foul no more then the standard Ballistic Tip.

They are not a sticky bullet so pressures will not rise prematurely due to bore friction.

They do not expant to a huge frontal area like the Swift and even Hornady bullets will for better penetration.

The reasons I do not like the swifts are that, first off, they are expensive as hell for a tipped bullet. They will expand to a very larger frontal area which is very bad for penetration and they can not be loaded to top velocities because they are a sticky bullet which also fouls excessively.

The reasons I do not care for the Hornady is that they are in relatively light weights and also over expand.

From the testing I have done, the Accubond bullets will penetrate almost equally to the same weight partiton brothers.

As far as Jamison, I will let you know if I read the article.

Good Shooting!!!

I concur on the accubond!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My accuracy is excellent to 350 yards, I don't have any business shooting any farther than that. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arts,

That was my take on it as well. Give us a bunch of information (that most of us already knew), but don't hang your hat on any conclusions. Kind of the chicken turd way out of it if you ask me.

Personally I got a lot of what I consider real life usable information from Jon A's post when he tested the accubond bullets in his .300 RUM. Maybe all the bullets were not tested there, but alot more "real" data to draw from...and it was free

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My beef is that he never concluded the article--no conclusions, no "final analysis", no recommendations (+ or -). So, basically we all already knew what he said, but he's supposed to be an authority (whether he is or not is a different topic), so why leave the article dangling in an unfinished state? No refereed journal would accept such. That is uncompleted research.

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suspect one bonded core bullet is about like another, they all seem to work very well indeed...and a lot better that the old conventional bullets of yesterday...

I'm betting the new bonded core core-lokt is going to be a real dandy, the old core-lokt was a fine bullet and with a bond it should rate super premium..

Todays bullets are simply the best and failures are far and few between..I was around when most bullets failed from time to time, and it was not acceptable...I appreciate all the companies that have improved these bullest to such a degree...

The downside is we don't have much to talk about today as to who makes the best bullets, so some folks just make up stuff!!

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote