New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load help please
 Login/Join

<UKGuy>
posted
Is there a way I can calculate the apx velocity (fps) of one of may favourite loads.

Do you boys use a software of some sort??

I cannot get my hands on a chrono....

Load is:

.243 Win
45.5 grains of Reloader 22
90 grain nosler BT head

I don’t know if you need the brass info etc....
Lupa
Fed LR std primer.

<David>
posted
UK Guy,

You didn't specify the barrel length, so I assumed 26 inches and ran that load through my Quickload program. The results:

3099 fps with 48397 PSI peak pressure. The max for 243 Win is 60190 PSI. Quickload also suggests that the case is nearly full and adding enough to reach max pressure will result in a heavily compressed load. You might want to try a slightly faster powder.

Quickload is just a tool to approximate pressures and velocity, so don't take this info as absolute. You still need shot over a chrono to find out the actual velocity.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The ONLY way to know what your bullet speed is to get a chrony. And the reading you get is good for that day, at that time, only. There are just too many variables.

For your caliber and bullet weight I found RL-22 From 44.0 grains to 46.5 grains, Remington 9-1/2 primer to be the useful loading range.

I would suggest you try H-414 From 37.0 grains to 44.0 grains and the Remington 9-1/2 primer for a little more versatility.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<UKGuy>
posted
Thanks David - Sorry i forgot to mention the barrel length - its a standard sporter which is I think 22" 1 in 9 twist. Does this mean it will be apx 300 - 400 fps slower than your calculated apx?

I can fully understand that this is and apx result from your software and thanks for taking the time to calculate this for me....

ricciardelli: I have tried 414 with the nosler 90g BT but could only get it to group about 1.5" at 100m (44 grains 414 shot best) where the RL22 load are all touching. This is with the std Fed LR primers and AOL just off the lands.

Any tips! to get this load to shoot the 90g nosler BT.

<eldeguello>
posted
With RE 22 in a .243, you can expect to lose 25-30 FPS for every inch you chop off from a 26" barrel to a 22" barrel, or about 100-120 FPS for the four inch difference.... no big deal!! [Big Grin]