New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swirling powder into a case for max loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In another thread here, someone asks about IMR 7828 powder in 30-06 cases. I was able to get 63 grains of that powder into Winchester 30-06 cases by slowly pouring the powder from the powder scale pan into a powder funnel in such a way that the powder would swirl around for awhile before going into the case. For some reason, this resulted in more powder going into the case than what could be done by dumping the powder directly into the funnel so that it would go immediately into the case.

I found the same thing when I tried to get 28 grains of Benchmark into a Winchester 223 case. If I dumped it directly into the case so that it didn't swirl around in the funnel, it would overfill the case. If I let it slowly swirl into the case, it got in with a few millimeters of case mouth to spare.

Anyone else notice this? What happens so that it works? Do the grains align themselves more compactly if this is done?

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi LE270:

With the swirl method the powder is compacted more going into the case.

Just get a long drop tube... same thing, compresses the power charge more in the case by faster velocity of dropping powder.

Regards.. Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerSwriling also removes air from the powder and lets it compac so it can fill a larger space with more.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
That's how I've dumped powder for years.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
ep, that's the only way I can get 48gr / 7828ssc into my .260ai under a long 142geSMK. Forster makes a neat little powder funnel w/ a 6" drop tube attached, very usefull. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what the others say, it works. It seems to work better with aluminum funnels too -less static cling.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "shake" the funnel as I pour stick (IMR) powder into the funnel...the movement telegraphs down the case and helps orientate the granules for better packing.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look in your wife's top dresser drawer. See that phallus looking thingy? "Borrow" it. Dump the powder in the funnel. Touch this "object" to the case. The powder will disappear into the case. Unless she has one of those super-turbo models...in that case it'll go all over the place and you'll need to use a lower setting for your pleasure.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never had any luck with my home made drop tubes.
My wife doesn't have any gadgets.(I don't think)

The swerl method works to some degree.

Some one on this board mentioned an electric shaver. If I put one under the case while filling, it makes the powder settle more than the swerl method.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
In another thread here, someone asks about IMR 7828 powder in 30-06 cases. I was able to get 63 grains of that powder into Winchester 30-06 cases by slowly pouring the powder from the powder scale pan into a powder funnel in such a way that the powder would swirl around for awhile before going into the case. For some reason, this resulted in more powder going into the case than what could be done by dumping the powder directly into the funnel so that it would go immediately into the case.

I found the same thing when I tried to get 28 grains of Benchmark into a Winchester 223 case. If I dumped it directly into the case so that it didn't swirl around in the funnel, it would overfill the case. If I let it slowly swirl into the case, it got in with a few millimeters of case mouth to spare.

Anyone else notice this? What happens so that it works? Do the grains align themselves more compactly if this is done?

LE, I do the same thing as you for the 338 with 73grs. RE19, gives me about the whole neck without any powder in the way. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Get a metal engraver. It is that little electric tool that vibrates a hard pointer at high rpm and vibrates like crazy. Hold against the case with your finger over the top, put the side of the shaft against the side of the case and you can gain about 1.3 grains. Now your wife can enjoy her stuff and you do your thing, although it might lead to some fun when she comes looking for her toy!

jump

Without guns we are subjects, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I believe it was Jerry Seinfeld who perfected the "swirl"! roflmao

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote