Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Started
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
OK, I'm wanting to give this reloading a try. I'm just not getting the accuracy out of factory amno & have thought about trying to reload my own for years.

Question: Where do I start? Is there a good book, web site, etc that can get me started in what I need?
I'm wanting to start off slow & just load some for a A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag & see how that goes. My main concern is buying the right stuff the first time. I don't mind paying for quality but don't want to pay for things I don't need.

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a thread just a couple days ago about a guy getting started and he got a lot of tips. I am down in Port Orange if you want a lesson getting started. I can save you a lot of headaches trying to figure stuff out. I have just upgraded to a pricey case trimmer and will give you my old Lyman trimmer which will save you a few bucks.
Send me a PM if you want to get together for a class.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just starting out also. I bought two books The ABC's of reloading and lees modern reloading second edition.. I feel that I have learned a heck of alot after those two books.. I have also read alot on a couple of forums.. Their a good start....

Posts: 31 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As has been pointed out in many of these threads, the NRA keeps a list of certified reloading instructors.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwight:
There was a thread just a couple days ago about a guy getting started and he got a lot of tips. I am down in Port Orange if you want a lesson getting started. I can save you a lot of headaches trying to figure stuff out. I have just upgraded to a pricey case trimmer and will give you my old Lyman trimmer which will save you a few bucks..

saluteNice gesture, Dwight. claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I just wish I had some coaching in the beginning which could have saved a lot of time and money. I just like to see people avoid misery as much as possible and get a little pleasure in life. Sharing information is painless and I have nothing to gain by keeping it a secret.

sdeshazo,
If you want ot start shopping for prices look for a Sierra loading manual, Check the Midway site for RCBS or Redding presses, dies for your caliber, scales, case trimmer, deburring tool, primer pocket cleaner, case neck brush, tumbler, Imperial sizing wax, primers and powder. That will get you started.

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Dwight,

I sent you an IM & would definantly like to take you up on the offer. Send me your phone number & we can work out a day/time.

Thanks for all the help!
Shawn

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdeshazo:
OK, I'm wanting to give this reloading a try. I'm just not getting the accuracy out of factory amno & have thought about trying to reload my own for years.

Question: Where do I start? Is there a good book, web site, etc that can get me started in what I need?
I'm wanting to start off slow & just load some for a A-Bolt in 7mm Rem Mag & see how that goes. My main concern is buying the right stuff the first time. I don't mind paying for quality but don't want to pay for things I don't need.

Thanks for the help!

You are in exactly the right place. I have learned 100 times more in the last 2 years right here on AR than anywhere else. Don't be shy about asking questions or using the search function to find out about things.

My recommendations:

• Don't buy full length dies, buy a Lee Collet Neck Sizer and a Redding Body Die in each caliber.
  • Get a Stoney Point Comparator and a Stoney Point Head and Shoulders Gauge as soon as you can afford it. HC, be kind salute
  • Get a Nosler #5 reloading manual if you can, it will list the "most accurate load tested" and give you load densities
  • Start loading Barnes Triple Shocks or Nosler Accubonds. They are accurate and give good terminal performance. It's a good morale booster to shoot small groups.
  • Buy good brass if you can, Norma or Nosler for example.
  • For the 7 mag get some RL22
  • Start an Excel spreadsheet and keep track of all your data

I'm sure there are more and some may disagree with these.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Sdeshazo, The offer from Dwight is an excellent idea. You may even end up with a great shooting buddy.

Since I happen to see a "few" things I happen to disagree with in one post Wink I'll give you my recommendations:

1. ALWAYS buy Full Length Dies from RCBS or Redding. Other Die Sets work, but can be a gimic or unnecessarily expensive.

1a. ALWAYS Full Length Resize for Dangerous Game and Partial-Full Length Resize for non-Dangerous Game and Target shooting.

2. NEVER waste money on ANY Stoney Point "thingy". Just hit yourself over the head with a hammer and you will have the same results.

2a. Just use your Cleaning Rod to perform the function that the "thingy" trys to do.

3. It is impossible to have too many Load Manuals. I do recommend in the beginning you get one published by whoevers Powder and Bullets you intend to use.

4. Start Benchmarking your firearms with either Nosler or Sierra bullets - whichever you find the cheapest. Then once you know the potential accuracy of the Firearm, move on to a good Hunting Grade Bullet, or the Sierra MatchKings for paper.

5. Buy a large Lot of Cases from Win or Rem and do a Full Case Prep on them. No need to waste money on Cases which cost 3-5 times as much. Most of the Case Prep is a 1-time effort.

Weight Sort the Cases and separate into similar weight groups.

6. For the 7mmRemMag use H1000.

7. Start an Excel Spread Sheet and keep track of all your Data - in a 3-ring binder - with the Targets.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will show him the difference in the thingy and your method. I like the stoney point BUT I loaded successfully for 30 yrs before I got one.
I will be sure and clarify your points and WOODS's points which should get off on the right foot.

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will show him the difference in the thingy and your method. I like the stoney point BUT I loaded successfully for 30 yrs before I got one.
I will be sure and clarify your points and WOODS's points which should get off on the right foot.

Alright!

A man who has reloaded for 30 years and still has an open mind. A person to be admired and emulated, right HC? Big Grin stir

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods,
I like your signature lines. My wife voted here for the first time after getting her citizenship in August. She has other friends that have immigrated here and she is the only one that studied college English and currently in nursing school. She believes in going about it the right way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
...A man who has reloaded for 30 years and still has an open mind. A person to be admired and emulated, right HC? Big Grin stir
Hey Woods, Absolutely 100% correct.

With a bit of good luck, Dwight should easily make it to 5+ decades of Reloading and still have an open mind - just like me! Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I try to keep an open mind til the product bashers show up.
I recently got a Redding Type S bushing die and it does your Partial FL sizing a lot better than my standard die.
I got a set of Forster bench rest dies from a friend at the range this weekend and now I have a neck die that I like. There are always neat tools to add to the game of reloading. I plan to make it 5 or more decades unless I get run over by a truck.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdeshazo:
My main concern is buying the right stuff the first time. I don't mind paying for quality but don't want to pay for things I don't need.

Thanks for the help!

You can't go wrong with RCBS, better than average quality and top notch service and warranty. If you are serious, look at the Rockchucker kit. It'll get you well on the road. That kit, dies, and the consumables and you're ready to load near match grade ammo. You can spend a LOT more and get the same results, especially for hunting ammo and hunting/factory rifles. For a 4 figure match rifle, well, that's a different category and you can upgrade as you need.

Keep it simple. Keep it mild. Respect max loads.

I second the Nosler manual. Sierra is also top notch. Sierra matchkings for load workup to get in the ballpark as well as find the upper limit of your rifle's potential are a good start. They are cheaper than premium hunting bullets too. Once you have a proper understanding of your rifles capability and the powder/bullet weight it likes, generally that transfers to similar cup and core bullets with minimal tweaking.

Ask lots of questions...and welcome to the insanity!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I recently got a Redding Type S bushing die and it does your Partial FL sizing a lot better than my standard die....
Hey Woods, Looks like Dwight has a good "sense of humor" too. rotflmo