Notify
Tools

Kolbe P-Max accelerometer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
www.border-barrels.com

Anyone use one? Good idea or gimmick?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
John - Don't know anyone that has used one of these however, piezoelectric and strain gage are still the most accepted exterior measurement methods. The most accurate method is still a chamber pressure test barrel - copper crusher method.

There are many factors to consider with a recoil measurement. There are numerous uncontrollable and non-repeatable variables that could lead to less than accurate numbers. If this were an acceptable and accurate method, it would have been used years ago.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a clever idea, but, as Zero Drift points out, there are a couple of assumputions that you have to make that could adversely affect accuracy. I guess you could list me as skeptical, but intrigued.

I do have to disagree with ZD on one point: The piezoelectric PSI system is much more precise than the copper crusher system. I'm still doing the research on strain gauge, but suspect that it will also be quite a bit better than the copper crusher method. The random error associated with the copper crusher method is on the order of 2,000 PSI standard deviation, while the piezoelectric random error is on the order of 500 PSI.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote