Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seating Depth
 Login/Join

posted
Having reloaded for rifles that were limited by magazine length and tubular magazines, I've never had the need to worry about seating depth. Reliable feeding and crimping on the cannuler(when necessary), where the determining factors in seating depth.

Now that I'm looking to work up a load with Barnes TSX bullets in my Model 700 .35 Whelen, I actually have a bullet that I can seat way out there. The question becomes, how deep to seat the bullet so that there is sufficient contact between bullet and case, while minmizing the 'jump' to the rifling? This will be a hunting load so the recoil will be stout and reliable feeding is mandatory. How do you all find a happy medium in this case?

Thanks

that which doesn't kill me is only postponing the inevitable...

Posts: 24 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes techs can help you call them up , as for setting off the lands for Barnes TSX .040-.060 ,their unlike other bullets in that respect . You don't want them close trust me on that !. Look under Tips an see their recommendation for distances off the Lands . .030-.070 I believe .

http://www.barnesbullets.com/r...007-barnes-bullet-n/

Yep my memory still serves me well .

2) Because TSX Bullets are all-copper, they have different pressure characteristics compared to conventional jacketed bullets. In our lab, we have experienced best pressures and accuracy when TSX Bullets are seated .030″ – .070″ off the lands (the grooves or rifling in a barrel.) The majority of the time, we’ve seen optimum accuracy when bullets are seated .050″ off the lands, so start there. Then move backward or forward in .005″ – .010″ increments to find the “sweet spot” for your particular rifle.
salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMC-1812:
I actually have a bullet that I can seat way out there. ...
...how deep to seat the bullet so that there is sufficient contact between bullet and case, while minmizing the 'jump' to the rifling? This will be a hunting load so the recoil will be stout and reliable feeding is mandatory. How do you all find a happy medium in this case?

Yes, it is far too often that chambers are cut in a way (looong freebore), that will not allow you to seat close to the lands AND have the bullet seated safely in the case neck.

If that is the case for your chamber, you start out with establishing how much bullet you need in the case neck for a secure hold on the bullet. It will vary from bullet to bullet, in particular if the bullet has a boat tail.

A sensible start is to keep about 1 "caliber" (in your case about .35") of the bullet (not counting boat tail) in the case neck. Sometimes - depending on how much neck tension your sizer gives you - you can also go below this value. I often try to see if I can move the seated bullet by pressing it hard against a surface (like the edge of my reloading bench). If the bullet does not move, it will likely be held sufficiently to survive the rigors of hunting and recoil.

If this minimal seating depth (established above) allows you to get close to the lands, you can now use Doc's advice from above. If you are still way off the lands, that is pretty much what you will have to live with for this chamber (and yes, isn't that irritating! Mad ).

The good news is, even if you happen to need to jump your bullet quite a ways, it is surprising how often rifles/loads shoot in spite of the humongous bullet jump - in particular bullets like Barnes TSX don't seem to mind too much...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote