Find
Notify
Tools

Error in Sierra 40S&W data???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
Can some of you guys check other manuals for me....165 grain JHP, fed. 100 primer

In the 50th anniv. Sierra pistol manual they list a max load of Hodgdon Universal Clays at 4.8 grains.

Stevespages.com lists 6.4 as max.

Hodgdon's online doesn't list a 165 grain bullet, but their 180 grain JHP has 5.8 grains as max, and 7.5 grains for 135 JHP.

Nosler #4 and #5 don't list Universal Clays, and with that I am out of manuals.

Sure seems like the Sierra data is WAY low....I was looking at about 5.7 grains for this batch. Anyone think that is too high? Thanks!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The problem may be in the name of the powder.

When Hodgdon dunped the "Clays" family of powders on the market, they all had the same confusing names!

Hodgdon has since changed the names...

Clays From 3.4 grains to 5.2 grains
Winchester WSP Primer

Universal Clays From 3.8 grains to 6.4 grains
Winchester WSP Primer

And then there was International Clays.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I agree, the naming convention stinks. The real scary thing (and I understand that all manuals are prone to errors, hence my cross checking) is that the Sierra manual, in the intro chapters where it talks about powders and their abbreviations (p. 93), specifically says:

"Universal Clays should not be confused with Hodgdon's Clays, or International Clays. ... Hodgdon's Universal Clays is the only one of these three used in this manual."

...and it looked to me as if that is EXACTLY what happened!

Just one more reason to be careful, check multiple sources, and live by the saying below...

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote