New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for 416 Rigby - suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to start rolling some 416 Rigby ammo. I will be using 400 Gr. Hornady IB bullets, and have decided to stick with Hornady brass for now, and likely use 215 primers.

Here is the catch - I do not load for accuracy, tweaking, or anything of the sort - just for economy of plinking and the satisfaction of using my own ammo. I would like to use as few powders as possible for what I reload, to avoid any mishaps.

What I currently reload: 8x57, 9.3x62, 7x57, 7.65x53, 416 Rigby

Soon: 458 Win Mag, 375 H&H, 450/400 3 1/4.

Anything that would work for all or even most of these? Of the the RL series (RL-15 worked well with my 416 Taylor)

If anyone can suggest some basic loads to duplicate Rigby ballistics 400 @ 2400, that would be great too.

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
96 - 98 Grains of H-4831.

You can use RL-15, but will need to use dacron or foam as a spacer.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulbwerks
posted Hide Post
I've had great success using federal 215M primers, hornady brass and RL22 with Hornady 400 grain interbonds that I picked up on sale. I use 98 grains or RL22 in my father's CZ550, you may want to back it down a grain or so to start.

Posts: 147 | Location: WI | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

H4831 - good suggestion. I used to use that when I reloaded for a 270. Fairly ubiquitous, which is another plus.

I know it is a broad range of calibers, but I would still like to stick to one or possibly two powders just to keep everything simple. Once I end up with acceptable accuracy for hunting and ballistics that approximate the original specs, I am done for as long as I own the rifle.

I definitely don't want to mess with fillers - in fact I would like to keep load density (with powder) near 100% to avoid overcharges, etc.

Bulbwerks, any idea what velocity that load is giving you?

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The 416 Rigby is a big case and I don't think I've ever loaded to 100% capacity, just because I get 2400 fps at about 96% capacity. That's close enough. Since I load with Vihta N165 and French Vectan Tubal 8000, this information won't be of much benefit to you but I'm going to guess that few people load to a real 100%, unless they're after that 2,500+ fps range. Of course, with copper bullets you might get there sooner since they are generally longer for the same weight.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat. Just starting to load the Rigby. I'm gonna try H4350. I'm currently using it in everything from 22-250 up to 375H&H, including .257 Bob and 300 Roy. It's worked well in all those and in the Rigby, uses smaller powder charges than most of the others I've looked at.

David

Posts: 539 | Location: NE Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulbwerks
posted Hide Post
I don'tcurrently have a chrono but cross referencing data in several books, I think it is close to 2350.
http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp?CaliberID=88&LoadID=8356
This guy is claiming to get over 2400 with 100 gr of RL22. I am using a 25" CZ barrel so it may be close to 2375 or so.

This load gives me an inch or less at a 100 yards out of this particular CZ.

I find with the big magnums the extra couple bucks for the Fed215M versus Fed215 is worth it becausse the flame is more consistent and I get fewer fliers.

Posts: 147 | Location: WI | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4831 works for me, RL22 will go faster, not as accurate in my Ruger. I load 105 grains with a North Fork 370, goes 2530 fps. I have shot three shot groups as small as .265 in. with this combo, always under 3/4 in.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that Jack O'Conner liked 105 gr H4831 with a 400 gr bullet so I tried it and loved it. I backed off a little and have been shooting 104 gr behind the 400 gr TBBC and getting 1" gps. My development stopped there and I've been very satisfied with the results for many years. Got to try it on an elephant someday but I will testify under oath that it will knock a buffalo's d*&% in the dirt.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pancho

I load 104 H4831 with 400's. Today's H4831 is not as slow as the old surplus stuff I used to shoot and Jack shot.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well having picked up a copy of the Hodgdon "Annual Manual" it looks like H4350 may be the go-to from 7x57 all the way to 416 Rigby.

I will look into it a little more. 4831 is the other powder that comes up a lot.

TG