New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Shooting Chrony 'Alpha', which is the red model. Just the basic Chrony.

Yesterday I was shooting .30-06 and had no issues, had a nice readout on all shots.
Then I switched to .300H&H and I was firing 190gr and 200gr loads that were pretty hot.

And right away I started experiencing ERR! readouts, which I figured out were due to muzzle blast.

Last night I left the Chrony in my truck, and it was -8C today when I hit the range.

I made a point of setting the Chrony further from the bench than I had it yesterday.
Commenced to firing .30-06 and got nothing but ERR! readouts.

I tried several adjustments but nothing worked.

Then I decided it had to be weak battery, and then the question became, how did leaving it outside (in the backseat of my truck) affect it?

Particularly if the battery was run down a bit.

Would the cold be what screwed me up today?

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I always use the shade shields or whatever they are called and if I have issues with my chrony I will sometimes place it just past the end of the barrel as opposed to several feet away. That usually seems to work for me.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sun shades or diffusers. They are to block light on the screens if it's a sunny bright day. On an overcast day you don't even need them.

But today was overcast, shouldn't have been the issue. Whether you have them on or not.

I started with them, removed them after the first ERR!, but that didn't help.

And yesterday I knew for sure it was muzzle blast, so set the Chrony out 15' away, and I had ERR! immediately, when firing the .30-06. No way the .30-06 should have caused muzzle blast issue.

So that's where I came to the thought that I had a weak battery, which then lead me to wonder, could the cold have affected/exacerbated the battery issue?
If it was due to a weak battery?

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Very cold and very hot can effect batteries.

Extremely cold can kill electronics. I "fried" my laptop when it was left in the truck and it dropped to minus 7 F once.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Cold will kill a battery in a heart beat.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
^ Hey thanks guys, yeah that's kinda the conclusion I had come to but really nice of you to share that observation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rapidrob:
Cold will kill a battery in a heart beat.
Yes! Our SAR members were warned repeatedly about the need to keep their VHF radios warm during cold weather for just this reason.

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
You could be like me with what I did last week..

I've been using the same one for 30 years and was trying some new loads with my pistols and it was working fine. I then decided to test some factory. 223 in a scoped Ar15. Damn nothing was reading so I held higher for 3 shots and again nothing so I started to aim lower thinking that was the issue. Yep I killed my old standby that had served me well for many years.
I always wondered what that guy felt like. I was alone and didn't have to share this but I am humbled faint yep I had my opinion of those fellers...
I'm human.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
We had a Sat phone in the Alps on one of our Tahr hunting trips a few years ago, was a hire phone with brand new battery pack, came up with battery fault and wouldn't work. Extremely cold snowy conditions with no sun in camp to warm anything up. Put the battery pack under an arm pit for 30 mins and the phone would work for a while then had to repeat the procedure to finish the call we were making.

The owner of the phone was very apologetic, he had got some brand new battery packs imported at a much cheaper price than the originals. Yep you guessed, they were Chinese battery packs. You get what you pay for sometimes.

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original Model F1 Chrony's, the green one that uses black cardboard sighting screens. I have found that the best quality 9V battery gives stable performance with longest life and I always switch the Chrony on 10 minutes or so before use to allow the electronics to come up to temperature and stabilise. Have used this Chrony for many decades now for rifles, shotgun and pistol and have always had good results.

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Eagle27

Sadly that was the one I sent a 223 bullet through.
No I have to research what is worth a damn in todays market to replace it.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
You could be like me with what I did last week..

I've been using the same one for 30 years and was trying some new loads with my pistols and it was working fine. I then decided to test some factory. 223 in a scoped Ar15. Damn nothing was reading so I held higher for 3 shots and again nothing so I started to aim lower thinking that was the issue. Yep I killed my old standby that had served me well for many years.
I always wondered what that guy felt like. I was alone and didn't have to share this but I am humbled faint yep I had my opinion of those fellers...
I'm human.

YUP! When I first got mine I loaned it to a couple of friends and they shot the S%&T out the cardboard aiming guide with their AR's. Glad they didn't hit the unit.

ALSO I found that I had to shoot a wakeup shot to activate the circuitry!

Hip

Posts: 1893 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never had too much battery trouble with my Beta but the angled sun created huge issues..... until we started placing a large sheet of cardboard on a stand to shield the thing from direct sunlight.

Best,
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
The red chrony tends to malfunction, and 99% of the time its the diffusers..I had one for several years, and it was picky picky all the time, so I shot the SOB, (actually by mistake with a pistol) but it felt good, and I got a pro-Chrony to replace it and nary a problem in the last 5 or 6 years..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they still make Oehler Chrono's?
I have had a Oehler for +40 yrs and is like a TIMEX.
Takes licking and keeps on ticking.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have two Chronys; work fine, but now I am at the stage that I no longer care how fast bullets are going. Turns out, they all go fast enough to all go into .75 MOA and all tend to kill stuff, the same.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
I understand where you are coming from on chrono graphing all loads, but I have a somewhat special case.

Aaron Little is in the process of extending the chambers of my Beretta double rifle from 2.1 (45-70)to 2.4(45-90) inches and then regulating the gun with ammo that I loaded for that purpose.
I loaded the ammo with North Fork 350 SS bullets over 60 grains N133 over Fed Magnum Match primers, but do not yet know the velocity of the ammo. It shoots well from my 1886 .45-90. The closest loads to mine that I found used Hornady bullets and 3031 powder with magnum primers and are called 45-90 Express Loads. I calculated the velocity of my loads to be around 2300 fps, but with those bore riding NF bullets, it may be faster. Therefore, for my records, I plan to use my chrony ASAP to properly document the regulation load.

Problem is the weather has not cooperated, but maybe during the holidays it will.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ohlers are the on,y ones that work in our shooting tunnel.

I have a shade on top of the sensors - it is opaque plastic sheet.

And I have lights installed above the sensors too.

Works very well.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68791 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once I got a Lab radar I gave all my other chronograph away!

Damn fine tool that!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Ohler chronograph and its the best, I also have a pro chrony that I really like, its simple and copies my Ohler on velocity..I use it at the bench at our club in Jerome..Nice to have two, comes in handy when things don't look right or jibe, I like them both, the proChrony is a good bang for the buck IMO>>>

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
er, I don't know about giving away my 40ish yr old Oehler, but my Labradar is a lot easier and quicker to set up. I like it. And it's hard to shoot a Labradar.

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any range sessions lately without several ERR1 causing lost data for rounds.

Extremely frustrating!

I think I will check out some of the suggestions.

My Alpha Chrony is about 16(?) years old?

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Labradar does not work in a tunnel.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68791 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wore out the three models of Chronys shooting thousands of rounds per year, the problem was always the diffusers and uneven sun rays. I got the Oehler 35-P and for the last 15 years have had no issues. It can get to dark, just use common sense. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Chrony's for decades. And it is important on cold days to put the batteries on the dash, blow hot air over them (I take spares) on the way to the range.

At some temperature level the voltage in the battery drops and the Chrony will not record data. As a general rule, when temperatures are in the 40's, the Chrony is useless.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Demonical:
I have a Shooting Chrony 'Alpha', which is the red model. Just the basic Chrony.

Yesterday I was shooting .30-06 and had no issues, had a nice readout on all shots.
Then I switched to .300H&H and I was firing 190gr and 200gr loads that were pretty hot.

And right away I started experiencing ERR! readouts, which I figured out were due to muzzle blast.

Last night I left the Chrony in my truck, and it was -8C today when I hit the range.

I made a point of setting the Chrony further from the bench than I had it yesterday.
Commenced to firing .30-06 and got nothing but ERR! readouts.

I tried several adjustments but nothing worked.

Then I decided it had to be weak battery, and then the question became, how did leaving it outside (in the backseat of my truck) affect it?

Particularly if the battery was run down a bit.

Would the cold be what screwed me up today?

I have used my red chrony from -5 to +20 lots in the winter, it is always a light issue with mine. I place a led light on top of each skyscreen difuser, takes care of the issue. My Oehler 33 was not any more reliable, used it until it dissapeared. wave

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
I have used my red chrony from -5 to +20 lots in the winter, it is always a light issue with mine. I place a led light on top of each skyscreen difuser, takes care of the issue. My Oehler 33 was not any more reliable, used it until it dissapeared. wave

Are you saying the Chrony needs more light?

The one day that I was shooting it was right after first light and the sky was overcast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
that might have been the problem

Posts: 203 | Location: Stickney,So Dakota | Registered: 12 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Demonical:
Are you saying the Chrony needs more light?

The one day that I was shooting it was right after first light and the sky was overcast.

tu2 tu2
I use 2 round led AAA battery powered wall mart lights placed in the center of the difuser screens.
Works perfect.

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Love my Labradar

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote