New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 K Hornet Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have decided to ream my 22 Hornet out to K Hornet and would please like to know how exactly I would fireform cases from standard .22 Hornet cartridges & also who manufactures dies for the K Hornet . And also the typical FAQ's about the K hornet anyones input would be appreciated thank you.

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
<gruvinbass>
posted
Just shoot a regular hornet in the k hornet chamber, that's all there is to fireforming.
Start your load workup with Hodgdon Lil Gun powder. For me 40 gr v maxes work best. I use Redding dies.

Regards,

Chad

[This message has been edited by gruvinbass (edited 04-28-2002).]

<Ben H>
posted
Redding and RCBS are two brands of dies that come to mind. I would recommend a match or competition type of seating die, since the Hornet has very thin necks. Also try small pistol primers as they often yield the best results. Hodgdon 'Lil Gun has earned a fantastic reputation as a Hornet powder. I like Hornady 35 and 40 grain V-MAX bullets.
When I need fresh cases I simply shoot Winchester factory ammo. It gives very good accuracy and a nicely fire-formed case.
Good luck with your "K" as I'm sure you will like it.

Ben H

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Open the chamber of the firearm.
Check to make sure barrel is not plugged.
Insert cartridge.
Point firearm in a safe direction.
Close action of firearm.
Assume a good shooting position.
Pull trigger.
Open action of firearm.
Remove casing.

Repeat as required.

Dies can be had from all the major manufacturers.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx for all the advice guys seems I was worried for no reason at all apart from the lil'Gun powder simply cant get it in this neck of the woods. Still trying to find a way of importing some , Has anyone got suggestions about this ?

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote