Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever reused a primer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have you ever reused a primer?

I disassembled some cartridges that I loaded last year and I primed a new shell with one, loaded the rifle, pulled the trigger and it went off. My question is this.
I heard that the primer is squashed together when you seat it so when it’s struck it goes off but if I reuse them is that dangerous because of the flexing of it from reseating it twice?

Have you guys ever reused primers?

Thanks in advance.

Vinny

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have pulled down some reloads and re-used the primers,just for paper shooting and they all went bang so far.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
In these times I wouldn't dream of throwing away a primer so I would re-use for sure.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know of any danger involved, have re-used lots of them w/o any issues.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Yes I have and would reuse primers.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been doing it...no problems...wouldn't even hesitate to make hunting rounds with them.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Yes, absolutely!

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had 2 reused primers that didn't go bang last week. Luckily I was just shooting paper and not a trophy buck.

I'd recommend just using them on paper.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
yes, no problems

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna be the dumb one here, but I've always thought it was supposed to be fairly dangerous to "pop out" a live primer. Are ya'll just letting the stem in the sizing die push them out? Can't that cause detonation?

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
I'm gonna be the dumb one here, but I've always thought it was supposed to be fairly dangerous to "pop out" a live primer. Are ya'll just letting the stem in the sizing die push them out? Can't that cause detonation?
Yes, in theory depriming a live primer could result in detonating the primer. I always take some precaution with shielding when I find it necessary (desirable) to remove a live primer. I've done hundreds of them and never had one go off, nor have I ever known of a reloading friend who had a live primer go off due to depriming.

As far as reusing them, well, I'm not that desperate yet.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trick is to "push" the live primer out with a steady pressure from the depriming pin, not punch it out as you (I) normally do. You can crush a primer in a vise w/o it going off but hitting it with a hammer is another story. Smiler

I've never re-used a primer before. Why not just leave it in the cartridge and save that step?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the need should ever arise, I just empty the powder and resize the case without the decapping pin in the spindle. I use RCBS dies that allow this. Lee dies do not. This is why I switched from Lee to RCBS dies...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
Yep. I've done it a lot. Slow even extraction on the live primer. I have not experienced a primer going off.
I got the idea to try the extracted primers off this forum and it works 100% so far ( aprox 100 shots ) no misfires.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yep done it, No problems just be careful de-priming the case.
Kerry

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yep, many times. As stated though, I would not count on a reseated primer, so it would be a practice round only.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
Well I suppose I'm not too proud to admit my stupidity here...

The first time I had to pull down some reloads I ejected the first primer with the result of a nice (albeit minor) fireworks display accompanied by a loud pop.

Perhaps the fireworks display wasn't as great as I thought it was, perhaps my perception was exaggerated by knowledge that I was surrounded by 40 or so pounds of flammable contents...

Anyway, yes heed the advice, go easy and you can re-use the primers. I have had one hang fire and two no-fires using them so I limit them to practice. The issue here is that you have seated the primer (hopefully correctly) so the pieces of the primer have been brought to their proper spacing (for lack of a better word). When you remove the primer you really squish it as stated earlier so there is the possibility it might not work properly.

Anyway, best of luck.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote