New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Question: S 341
 Login/Join

<Martindog>
posted
Where does this propellant fall on burning rate chart compared to powders available in America, i.e., Alliant's Reloader series, IMR, Hogdon, Ramshot, VV, etc?

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
S341 powder is made in South Africa by SOMCEM. It is supposed to be slower than IMR 3031, but faster than IMR 4320.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Martin,

Following on to Ricciardelli's answer, my VVN powder table list them as follows:

From fastest to slowest

IMR 3031
NORMA 201
H 322
ACCURATE 2230
BRIGADIER 3032
WINCHESTER 748
BL-C 2
ACCURATE 2460
H 335
H 3895
ALLIANT RELOADER 12
IMR 4895
VVN 135
IMR 4064
BRIGADIER 4065
ACCURATE 2520
IMR 4320

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67028 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Martindog>
posted
Thanx very much for the info.

I was intrigued after checking out the GS Custom bullet site referenced on an earlier thread. I mainly shoot a 6.5 Swede and lo and behold, on the Q&A section of their site, a user reported test data using the 110g HPV projectile from a sporterized Swede using S 341 powder.

It is an interesting concept, sort of like Barnes X bullet although with a couple of additional bells and whistles. I'm trying to sort through some of their recommendations however. GS Custom recommends using a powder that fills up the case (pretty much conventional wisdom), yet in the same breath they acknowledge faster powders than what is considered normal for a conventional lead/jacketed slug are more appropriate. I realize copper has a lower specific gravity than lead so a lighter copper slug might still fill up a case equivalent to a heavier lead slug, but I've got to believe that there is some seriously unoccupied space in those Swede cases when loading S 341. Anyway, the user reported 8mm (.33") groups at 100 meters so it must work.

If you haven't checked out their site, I recommend you do so. Even if you never place an order with them, their approach is really something to think about and they've got plenty of testimonials supporting their products. I checked prices on against an exchange rate site and for 6.5mm, they worked out to around $33.00/50 delivered to the US.

Thanx again,

Martindog